Thursday, June 01, 2017

Spiritual Communion



My 'formula' for spiritual communion is pretty much based upon today's Gospel ...

Lifting up his eyes to heaven, Jesus prayed saying:
"I pray not only for these,
but also for those who will believe in me through their word,
so that they may all be one,
as you, Father, are in me and I in you,that they also may be in us,
that the world may believe that you sent me.
And I have given them the glory you gave me,
so that they may be one, as we are one,
I in them and you in me,that they may be brought to perfection as one,
that the world may know that you sent me,
and that you loved them even as you loved me.
Father, they are your gift to me.
I wish that where I am they also may be with me,that they may see my glory that you gave me,
because you loved me before the foundation of the world.
Righteous Father, the world also does not know you,
but I know you, and they know that you sent me.
I made known to them your name and I will make it known,
that the love with which you loved memay be in them and I in them." - JN 17:20-26
I pray something similar throughout the day and night, beginning like this:

I unite myself to your silent loving action in the Holy Eucharist,
to the offering of yourself in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass celebrated throughout the world,
for all the intentions of your most Sacred Heart and the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
Since I am not worthy that you should come under my roof,
and since I cannot receive you now in Holy Communion,
I pray that you will come spiritually into my soul, as if I just received you...
live in me O Jesus, you in me and I in you,
in time and in eternity,
in Mary,
in the very bosom of the Holy Trinity.

Though it seems like a lot to say, I also shorten it throughout the day praying:

I pray that you will come spiritually into my soul, as if I just received you...
live in me O Jesus, you in me and I in you,
in time and in eternity,
in Mary,
in the very bosom of the Holy Trinity.

I really do pray this frequently throughout the day and night, and when I do yard work or some other manual occupation, I use the prayers of the Divine Mercy Chaplet to remain united to the silent, loving action of Christ in the Eucharist.  It is helpful to recollection and helps me to remain in the presence of God, to sanctify every thought, word, action and desire.  

I credit this habit/practice with freeing me from many occasions of sin and habits of sin.  I also think it is a good preparation for sacred reading, prayer and most especially Mass.

The Gospel readings between the Ascension and Pentecost beautifully express the intimacy and union God desires for us - wills for us - "that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me."  Jesus claims each of us as the Father's gift - to him.  That is awe-inspiring.

"What more do you want, o soul! And what else do you search for outside, when within yourself you possess your riches, delights, satisfaction and kingdom -- your beloved whom you desire and seek? Desire him there, adore him there. Do not go in pursuit of him outside yourself. You will only become distracted and you won't find him, or enjoy him more than by seeking him within you." - Saint John of the Cross


No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.