Wednesday, June 07, 2017

I didn't know 'liberals' were attacking Benedict XVI ...



For his preface to Cardinal Sarah's book that is.

I never paid much attention to any attacks on Pope Benedict, because I am rather devoted to him, I love him - just as I do Pope Francis.  The attacks upon Pope Francis seem to me worse that anything Pope Benedict suffered - except of course for the heavy criticism for having resigned, but I digress.

Fr. Z writes about an address from Cardinal Sarah on his recent book, and the attack against Benedict XVI in his preface to the book.  I also have great esteem for Cardinal Sarah, and thank God for his work in the Church.  I can't help but think he is very saintly and will be venerated as such after his death.  I like his defense of Pope Benedict, which Fr. Z shared:

“I pray devoutly”, Sarah said at the beginning of his talk, “for those who have the time and the patience to read this volume closely [The Force of Silence]: that God will help them to forget the vulgarity and the baseness used by some people when they referred to the “preface” and to its author, Pope Benedict XVI. The arrogance, the violence of their language, the lack of respect and the inhuman scorn for Benedict XVI are diabolical and cover the church with a mantle of sadness and of shame. These people tear down the church and her profound character. The Christian does not combat against anyone. The Christian does not have enemies to crush.” - Cardinal Sarah
Without knowing what was said, without having read the Cardinal's book, I am impressed with his defense of Pope Benedict.  I would suspect he would be equally as supportive in defense of those who attack Pope Francis.  I think his statement works as well for Francis as it does Benedict; "The arrogance, the violence of their language, the lack of respect and the inhuman scorn for Francis are diabolical and cover the church with a mantle of sadness and of shame."

I especially like this statement regarding Christians - in the Church Militant, if you will ...

"The Christian does not combat against anyone. 
The Christian does not have enemies to crush.”

There is so much to learn from Cardinal Sarah.

4 comments:

  1. A wonderful quote to ponder! I have to say that what really impresses me about Cardinal Sarah is that he will fast for 3 days - even from water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think that despite his many critics, it was Papa Francis who appointed Cardinal Sarah as Prefect for Divine Liturgy. I truly hope they get along well as brothers in the faith.

      Delete
    2. God bless Papa Emerito too! :)

      Delete
  2. I am currently reading Cardinal Sarah's book. The format is unusual, and it's not something one can breeze through. (Ha. At least for me.) It's made of meditations to chew over a bit at a time.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.