Friday, September 30, 2016

The Transitus of St. Therese ... the last day of preparation.

"Oh!... Je L'aime!... Mon Dieu, je... vous... aime!" 



Shortly after 7 PM, little Therese died on the evening of September 30 in 1897.

She died much like Our Lord, suffocating in great agony; the weeks and days leading up to her death, St. Therese suffered an ineffable darkness, "the trial of Faith". Neither her own words, nor those of any other living person, can describe what it was like to share so intimately her Beloved's death. Not even her sisters could comprehend it.

Therese is little, and yet great. Nevertheless she is always little...very, very little. I sometimes lament she has been declared a Doctor of the Church, resulting in many academics, intellectuals, and masters of theology and spirituality making a science of her "little way." Many times they miss. They miss her "littleness" - her insignificance ...

The only great theologian or mystic that I know of who best writes of what comprised her spirituality is St. John of the Cross, the writer whose works Therese's spiritual doctrine most perfectly embodies. John of the Cross was a little soul as well.  The one person living today whom I believe understands the spiritual doctrine of St. Therese - and actually lives it - is our Holy Father Pope Francis.

Of course, the person who most closely exemplified Little Therese's "little way" was even more little and insignificant than Therese herself - Saint Teresa of Calcutta.

+

O Lord, Who has said: Unless you become as little children you shall not enter the Kingdom of Heaven; grant us, we beseech Thee, so to follow in humility and simplicity of heart the footsteps of St. Therese, the virgin, that we may obtain everlasting rewards. Who lives and reigns forever. Amen.

4 comments:

  1. I'm praying the novena and I credit her from my days in high school with obtaining for me a full scholarship to college. On the last day of my novena back then, when I got home from school, I could smell roses all over my bedroom yet there was not one to be found. Over the years I fell away from the faith ... and when I had a reversion, took to monastic spirituality. I've had a difficult time appreciating her little way; seems so saccharine sweet to me and I can't get past a lot of her language (or those who write about her). Maybe that's my pride talking. So, I thought I'd try to spend some brief time w/her in the novena this time around in hopes of making up for my lack of faith - both in her, and in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying the novena and I credit her from my days in high school with obtaining for me a full scholarship to college. On the last day of my novena back then, when I got home from school, I could smell roses all over my bedroom yet there was not one to be found. Over the years I fell away from the faith ... and when I had a reversion, took to monastic spirituality. I've had a difficult time appreciating her little way; seems so saccharine sweet to me and I can't get past a lot of her language (or those who write about her). Maybe that's my pride talking. So, I thought I'd try to spend some brief time w/her in the novena this time around in hopes of making up for my lack of faith - both in her, and in Christ.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.