Sunday, September 04, 2016

St. Teresa of Calcutta and Hillary Clinton ... a special friendship.



Many Catholics condemn Hillary Clinton for any number of reasons, but chiefly because of her pro-abortion politics and reputation of lying. We have a tendency to demonize people.  Even today, on day of Mother Teresa’s canonization, a well known priest online referred to Hillary and her husband as the “odious Clintons” - Mother Teresa never, ever did that kind of thing.  She never, ever described the President and First Lady as "odious".

Here is an excerpt from an article which recalled Mother’s address in 1994 at The National Prayer Breakfast where President Clinton and First Lady Mrs. Clinton were present.
“Mrs. Clinton noted the pointed nature of the nun’s words. “Mother Teresa was unerringly direct,” the First Lady recounted. “She disagreed with my views on a woman’s right to choose and told me so.” Tell her so she did; but though she was direct in her disagreement, she also offered something that Mrs. Clinton could applaud. Although Hillary Clinton was, and remains, a supporter of legalized abortion, she agreed with Mother Teresa that adoption was a preferable alternative. Speaking to her afterwards, Mother Teresa told Mrs. Clinton of her desire to continue her mission to find homes and families for orphaned, abandoned, and unwanted children by founding an adoption center in Washington, DC. She invited the First Lady to assist her in this endeavor, and brought Mrs. Clinton to India with her to witness her work firsthand.
Mother Teresa’s motions were not wasted. When Hillary Clinton returned to Washington, she took up Mother Teresa’s request with a will. Keeping in contact with the saint who called her regularly to receive updates on her “center for babies,” Hillary Clinton did the necessary legwork and succeeded in opening The Mother Teresa Home for Infant Children in 1995 in an affluent section of Washington, DC. Mother Teresa joined her for the opening, and two years later passed into the arms of her Lord. But she left a bright mark on the career of Hillary Clinton, who saw something remarkable in the tiny nun, and chose to do her bidding to help save lives. Mother Teresa inspired Mrs. Clinton to do a truly good work in spite of her dedicated promotion of Planned Parenthood’s agenda for “safe and legal” abortions. 
The center was quietly and unfortunately closed in 2002.” -  Sean Fitzpatrick for Crisis

As Catholics we need to stop condemning others.  I know I have to.  Pope Francis demonstrates for us how to do this.  Just as St. Teresa of Calcutta and her Missionaries of Charity have done and continue to do.  They are the real deal.

Imagine - Our Lord himself requested, instructed Mother Teresa to found a new religious order which would go out into the streets, to the peripheries, long before Pope Francis came along teaching the same message of mercy.

Holy Mother, St. Teresa of Calcutta, Star of this Pontificate, guide us upon the way, be our light in this dark night of the Church.  Help us to fix our eyes upon Jesus and him crucified.

11 comments:

  1. "Many Catholics condemn Hillary Clinton for any number of reasons, but chiefly because of her pro-abortion politics and reputation of lying"

    Mother Theresa is a saint, I am not so guilty as charged.

    In the meantime, I will try to keep the faith and pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea that being Christian means we can never say anything negative about someone is just wrong. Criticism can be constructive. It is actually necessary in order to clarify what is the proper course. Of course it can get out of hand and cross the line into unchristian territory. Terry, I want to be able to like and support HRC. Has the media created the monster or is she what we think she is? I go back and forth. She may have been friendly with St. Teresa of Calcutta.but she has always been drawn to celebrity. Whatever way you cut it Hillary has sold herself to some pretty dark powers. We cannot ignore or be silent about this. Being Christian does not mean being silent to evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I didn't intend this to be a political statement in support of Clinton - I don't support her and have a difficult time even liking her. I don't even know why or how such an unpopular person, a career politician beyond retirement age has any support at all. Why would young people even consider supporting someone like Clinto or Trump is beyond me - but that's not my point here either.

      My point is how a saint and her Congregation exemplify Christian charity, treating even their 'enemies' with respect and dignity and would never ever refer to their person as odious. Fr. Z says this stuff all of the time - as do many Catholics and Christians. It is exactly what Pope Francis condemns in our Pharisaical practice of Christian charity.

      I felt the contrast I tried to illustrate was obvious.

      Delete
    2. I get your point and agree with that. The difficult in my mind is the subtle undercurrent of association somehow justifies something else. Hillary has a split personality. She claims a Metodist faith strong in social justice. I have heard her quote Henri Nouwen on the virtue of gratitude. She claims many good and noble actions and beliefs. Then, there is the other side. I just cannot wrap my mind around her. Of course Trump is as bad or worse. I think the devil is having a field day with our politics. Then, I read that Putin is becoming an example of Christian Orthodox virtue and Russia will save the world for Christianity. It is all too much. I await October for the big surprise that Wikileaks founder promises will change the course of the election. I have some frightening thoughts on what they might be. I once thought the conspiracy theory that says the election will be postponed more then a little crazy. Now, I am not so sure.

      Delete
    3. I get your point as well.

      I could never vote for Hillary... Fr. Z has a post up that he's rather vote for a corpse if someone ran it, than vote for her. I understand that as well - and sort of agree. One thing he asked, where is our best and brightest? That is akin to my asking why a senior citizen baby-boomer is the best the Dems could come up with - in other words, where is our best and brightest?

      That said, Trump is our only alternative. Unless something worse happens to postpone the elections.

      As for Hillary, her actions and her agenda is surely odious - one can clearly judge those matters - the rest is God's to deal with.

      I won't support her platform, her candidacy, nor her ideals.

      Trump is the most pro-life candidate. I shudder.

      Delete
    4. I get your point as well.

      I could never vote for Hillary... Fr. Z has a post up that he's rather vote for a corpse if someone ran it, than vote for her. I understand that as well - and sort of agree. One thing he asked, where is our best and brightest? That is akin to my asking why a senior citizen baby-boomer is the best the Dems could come up with - in other words, where is our best and brightest?

      That said, Trump is our only alternative. Unless something worse happens to postpone the elections.

      As for Hillary, her actions and her agenda is surely odious - one can clearly judge those matters - the rest is God's to deal with.

      I won't support her platform, her candidacy, nor her ideals.

      Trump is the most pro-life candidate. I shudder.

      Delete
    5. Trump is fooling you on that issue. He spent his whole public career as pro abortion. There are reports that he wanted Marla Maples, his second wife, to abort her pregnancy. She refused and Tiffany became his fourth child. His long distance relationship with her was highlighted in her Convention speech. Long distance phone calls about how she was doing in school. She is obviously the outsider in that family. Anyway, I do not believe he is any more pro life then Hillary. It is a politically expedient position to appeal to his base. I really see no difference between the two. Both will adapt their positions to garner the most votes. I am seriously considering a third party candidate. It is the only way to protest two corrupt parties. The President can do nothing to change current abortion law. It is Congress and the Supreme Court's domain. It will take a constitutional amendment to do that.

      Delete
    6. I accept that he is being disingenuous and playing to the crowds. I can't say I can vote for him - and I wasn't saying that here. I'm torn, because on one hand I feel I must abstain as a conscientious objector, but then other Catholics say you can't not vote. Is it really such an apocalyptic decision?

      I have real trouble imagining votes count - there are delegates and super-delegates, then the Supreme Court. I never wanted a Clinton or a Trump. I'm not Republican or a Democrat. As you said - the President can't single handedly change current law. It's Congress and the Court. Yet the Court enacted the law. We never asked for it, we never had a voice. That is why I have lost confidence in our Government and our politicians, as well as younger Americans who accept the status quo.

      Why were these two senior citizens the only people Democrats and Republicans could come up with? What is wrong with our system? What is wrong with younger people? How many times have you heard people condemn the baby-boomers and aging hippies, waiting fro the natural solution to eliminate them? Where are those geniuses now - where are they when this country needs a moral leader?

      Maybe they have all been aborted and this is our punishment, our fall?

      I wouldn't mind if something happened and the Speaker of the House had to be sworn in as President. I like Paul Ryan. I liked Rubio. I liked Martin O'Malley - all younger than the two running today.

      End of rant. ;)

      Delete
    7. My last post on this topic; promise. The answer is: Big corporate money, special interests, lack of term limits, Citizens United Supreme Court ruling allows unlimited cash to support (buy) your favorite politician. It will not change until those factors that support this corrupt system changes.

      Delete
    8. Big smile - big hug. Thanks.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.