Thursday, December 05, 2013

St. Paul/Minneapolis Archdiocese releases names of 34 priests accused of sexual abuse.



From local news:
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has disclosed the names of 34 priests who it says have been accused of sexually abusing minors.
  
The names were made public Thursday following months of criticism that church leaders mishandled allegations of abuse. Archbishop John Nienstedt says he hopes the move will restore trust.
  
The archdiocese says it has substantiated claims against 30 priests on the list. The remaining four have claims against them that could not be substantiated, but the archdiocese released them after a court order.
  
The information includes the clerics' names, parishes where they served, and other details. It does not include details of the allegations. - KSTP
The complete Archdiocesan list here.

My thoughts.

I really don't see the purpose in releasing the names.  Those who faced convictions for their crimes are already known - so the release of their names is somewhat redundant.  Other accused clergy are dead or retired, and it appears most have been laicized. 

I have to say I don't get lawsuits either.  I would never dream of suing men who abused me.  What good does that do?  How can money repair what happened?

I recognized a couple of names.

Interestingly enough, I did come across a name of a priest I distinctly recall confessing to him that I allowed a man to sexually molest me - I was in 5th or 6th grade at the time.  The priest was very concerned and asked me if I could tell my parents - I said I couldn't.  He didn't offer any advice.  Accusations against him came much later at another parish - involving a minor, a girl. 

Another priest heard my confessions in the 1980's.

A friend of mine asked, "Why so many priests?"  I said it isn't limited to priests - it happens in every profession.

A news conference is scheduled for 2 PM today.

 

1 comment:

  1. The ones that bother me the most are the accusations made decades later, after the priest has died.

    Someone called me today, horrified that a beloved priest was on the list. I cautioned that it's a list of priests who are accused.

    I think the objective is to separate the sheep from the goats...and put questions in the mind of the sheep.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. Be sure and double check if your comment posted after you do the verification deal - sometimes it doesn't print if you made an error.