Monday, May 20, 2013

Ordinary Time and the story of Pope Paul the VI weeping...



Supposedly the Holy Father overlooked the fact he permitted the suppression of the Octave of Pentecost as a consequence of the liturgical reform, and he wept on Whit Monday when a sacristan explained why the vestments for Mass were green instead of red.

The story makes the rounds on the Monday after Pentecost.  Watch for it today.

Reminds me of the story of how John XXIII supposedly wept after he read the Third Secret.  Other sources say he didn't - he simply passed it off and remarked it did not apply to "Our times".

Back to Ordinary Time for the Ordinary Form.

3 comments:

  1. Terry, do you have reason to believe the story about Pope Paul weeping is not true? I thought it came directly from Bishop McGee's memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that - thanks Elena. It just seemed hard to believe, but if it is in his memoirs, that adds further credence. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just going from memory; I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.