Saturday, March 09, 2013

A Cardinal some say actually wanted to be Pope.




Cardinal Spellman of New York.

According to legend, in 1958, before the Conclave that would elect Pope John XXIII, Cardinal Spellman supposedly hired a boat, filled it with sheep and sailed down the Tiber in an attempt to suggest he would be the fufillment of St. Malachy's prophecy.  

I'm unable to verify that however.

Another legend that has been floated is that he was dissapointed Roncalli had been elected Pope John XXIII, and was reported to have said, "He's no Pope. He should be selling bananas."

All I know is Spellman liked Nixon...

I know!




 

6 comments:

  1. No one who WANTS to be Pope is qualified.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I read scripture, and read about God telling some poor schmuck to do this or that, almost universally, the guy starts to protest by saying something along the lines of : I can't do that, there is no way I can do that.Pick someone else.
    And then after God does some reassuring, and persuading, or some promising or some threatening, does the poor guy say: Okay, I'do it it, but only because You, O God, are telling me that I can do it will I do it.

    Never ever does the schmuck actually say: Pick me pick me.

    O wait there is that whole: Here I am Lord. Well maybe He is does choose the volunteering one, sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Puff, I think you were right the first time; Pick me! Pick me! is usually a response to a known need for something. Here I am Lord is offering oneself for unknown tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spellman was in the back pockets of the Kennedy clan. I rest my case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did J.Edgar...know about him? That is one STUNNING shade of RED !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walter - yes - the FBI had a file on him from what I understand.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.