Friday, February 08, 2013

The elephant in the room.

Introibo ad altare ...me



An update on Fr. Michael Fugee.

Archbishop John Myers of the Archdiocese of Newark, New Jersey pretty much cleared Fr. Fugee for active duty.  Who am I to criticize or object?  In fact, today I felt sorry for even posting about his case and other such matters.  How do they concern me?  Why do I protest such matters?  Why?  Writing as I do about such stories only alienates further SSA friends and SSA priests I know.  Who am I to judge who is or who is not suitable for ordination? 

It is enough to accept that Father Michael Fugee has been exonerated of any crime; his sexual orientation is a private matter, despite what the CDF says about such things. 

I have to wonder how tough it must be to go to work each day when everyone else in the chancery knows what happened and knows of your personal, moral struggles.  Although I do not need to speculate or add to that. 

That said, as we become aware of these disturbing situations, even as the scenarios continue to be repeated, the elephant in the room gradually becomes more visible.  Beneath the Aubusson rugs, the vestments and lace, behind the veils, within the canopied baroque splendor, shimmering under  candlelight reflected upon gilded ornament ... and as the incense clears ... one might glimpse it.

Yes.  I think so. 



Have mercy on me O Lord...
In the face of all my foes
I am a reproach,
an object of scorn to my neighbors
and of fear to my friends.

 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:29 AM

    Interesting post. Somehow, I don't care about the "elephant in the room." It's rather irrelevant in this case I think. In fact, the actions of Fugee are also irrelevant at this point, he has been dealt with in a court of law and I accept that. The problem here is Myers' arrogance. First he assigned him as a hospital chaplain without telling the hospital. That didn't end well. Now, he has him driving all over the AD saying Mass as a fill-in of sorts, but the AD won't tell us where. Then it is found that he is attending single retreats as a priest. All violations of the Dallas Charter as far as I know. The desk job at the Chancery (and that is what it is) isn't the issue, in fact, it seems like a good position for him under the circumstances. Anyway, long story long, this story is about Myers and the Dallas Charter and accountability of the bishops at this point. As Phillip Lawler put it, are the bishops ringing Newark this week asking what the heck is going on? My 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your two cents too - thanks. You are correct the biggest mystery revolves around the bishop...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's much of a mystery.

      Institutions typically protect their own, and the diocese does not consider the flock part of the institution.

      Which in turn means, the bishop is either grossly incompetent, or he doesn't care in the least for the welfare of his flock.

      Delete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.