A commenter asked: "I wonder, of what would the blackmail consist?"
"If you don't do x, I will publicize that you are having wild sex orgies.""But what is x?"
Money and power, according to Moynihan's report: "Apparently there is even talk of some curial officials being blackmailed..."
Blackmail... what is it? "Extortion of money or something else of value from a person by the threat of exposing a criminal act or discreditable information."
What could one possibly gain besides money or power? I have some suggestions.
Twenty Two plus one Reasons for Blackmailing Naughty Churchmen
- Control. I want you to do what I say. Bark like a dog.
- Lobby for gay marriage, gay rights.
- Lobby to relax the rules on marriage and divorce.
- Lobby for more liberal teaching on contraceptives.
- Promotion - the culprit wants to be ordained bishop and given a nice diocese.
- Ordination. The guy with all the impediments wants to be ordained a priest.
- I'd like a nice condo in Rome. Get it for me.
- My sister needs an annulment - push it through. In fact I may start an annulment business and I need a guarantee of success.
- I want my mother and dad to have a private audience with the pope.
- Promote women's ordination, married priesthood.
- Art and antiques.
- Grant Basilica status for my parish.
- Papal seal of approval for my product.
- Permission to do whatever I want, live where I want. (For a priest)
- Get on the A-list for social events.
- Access to important personages in the Holy See.
- Win all the bids for work to be done inside the Vatican.
- Canonization of my cat.
- Push for the destruction of the SSPX, or its promotion.
- Ban the traditional Mass, or not.
- Let Cardinals wear ermine again.
- Money, money, money.
"How 'bout rights to use
'Catholic' in my business name?
Along with endorsements?"