Saturday, September 15, 2012

St. Hildegarde of Bingen

Birth of the Antichrist


I do not know a great deal about the mysticism of St. Hildegarde, but I am familiar with a few of her visions.  Now that the Holy Father will declare her a Doctor of the Church - the Saint's writings assume a greater significance, don't they.  Some of her visions, especially as they are depicted in illuminations, are bizarre to say the least.  The illuminations seem very contemporary really, and in some instances, seemingly risque.  I've always thought she could be the patron saint of binge-drinkers, on account of her title, of Bingen.   And perhaps some of her visions were the result of hallucinogenic mold or wild berries found in the forest.  I'm kidding of course.  Or am I?

Inspired by the elevation of St. Hildegarde, I've decided to go forward and document some of the dreams I had many years ago, shortly after my conversion.  Creepy dreams of decadent clergy and bizarre rites...  way before the scandals broke out.

 
 

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:29 AM

    I had read that Hildegarde suffered from migraines, and that some of her art and visions may be attributed to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:23 PM

    hahaha -- you wag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bingen - it's "bing-in" not "binge-in'" haha.

    For some reason people like to use her for weirdo feminist stuff. I'm pretty sure that's not what she meant.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.