See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains. - James 5:7

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Mass Chat: Archbishop Nienstedt's letter...



The Church cannot change Her teaching.

The Deacon gave the homily, which he introduced as a letter from the Archbishop - obviously in defense of marriage.  No copies were made available*.  If I understood correctly, the Archbishop instructed all the priests and deacons of the Archdiocese to read the letter at all the Masses this weekend.  If I come across the text I will post it.

It was very good, based entirely on the readings for the Twenty-First Sunday in Ordinary Time.  How it works out with the EF cycle, I dunno.

Essentially the scripture says it all:
"If it does not please you to serve the Lord, decide today whom you will serve..." - Joshua 24

"Wives should be subordinate to their husbands... husbands love your wives... For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh..." - Ephesians 5 
"Many of Jesus' disciples who were listening said, 'This saying in hard; who can accept it?' ... As a result of this, many of his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him." - John 6:60-69

 
That's what I got at least.  Works for me.
  "As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord." - Joshua 24

Amen.  God bless Archbishop Nienstedt.

 
 
* Perhaps if any local readers catch this, they might be so kind as to mention if this was done in their parish today, and let us know if a text of the letter is available.  Thanks.
 

12 comments:

  1. Obviously no one from Minneapolis/St. Paul reads me - or if they do, they didn't get the Archbishop's letter read to them... or I'm living in a parallel universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read you in Baton Rouge ...

      Delete
    2. I'm predicting rain for you.

      Delete
    3. Yeah ... no one is quite sure of what to make of it yet. I mean, people are buying gas and water and batteries and stuff like crazy (I doubt I will find any water on the shelves tomorrow), but it's also going to be *only* a category 2, and we're still hoping to catch the western side of it.

      New Orleans is also hopefully on the western side.

      I hope the city and state have used this past seven years to get their act together and avoid the emphatically man-caused disaster that was Katrina (all of the flooding except in some lower parishes was entirely avoidable) ... hah! who am I kidding?

      Delete
    4. Media is excited.

      Delete
  2. I am from Minneapolis, and I read you everyday!

    There was no letter from the Archbishop read at the Mass I attended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I really feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone. But I know the deacon said he would be reading from a letter the Archbishop asked priests and deacons to read at Mass this past weekend.

      Delete
  3. I just called the chancery - the letter was suggested to be read in lieu of a homily - it was an option - which explains why some parishes may not have heard it. The Archbishop's secretary is sending me the text - which I will publish upon receipt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you identify yourself as a blogger or is Abp. N already a reader?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep and i asked for permission to reprint the letter. I doubt very much the archbishop reads me.

      Delete
  5. I got the letter but it is a pdf and I can't copy and paste from it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read your Blog in Cascais, Portugal.

    Very Interesting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.