Monday, June 18, 2012

One-a-Day: Greatest hits.




Today would have been my dad's 89th birthday.

For some reason I thought he would have been older than that.

I always wondered what happened to him as a kid.  Who hurt him?  Who, what made him do the stuff he did.  He always said he couldn't talk about it.



No man's a jester playing Shakespeare
Round your throne room floor
While the juggler's act is danced upon
The crown that you once wore

And sooner or later
Everybody's kingdom must end
And I'm so afraid your courtiers
Cannot be called best friends

Caesar's had your troubles
Widows had to cry
While mercenaries in cloisters sing
And the king must die

Some men are better staying sailors
Take my word and go
But tell the ostler that his name was
The very first they chose

And if my hands are stained forever
And the altar should refuse me
Would you let me in, would you let me in, would you let me in
Should I cry sanctuary

No man's a jester playing Shakespeare
Round your throne room floor
While the juggler's act is danced upon
The crown that you once wore

The king is dead, the king is dead

2 comments:

  1. Terry,
    When did your dad pass away? Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord! and let light perpetual shine upon him...... My father had an "ideal" happy childhood where his needs were looked after. My own was less than that but i've peacefully come to the conclusion through the grace of GOD that my father did and gave what he was able to do and give. Whatever his failures, mistakes and hurts he did with what he had to give. I don't love him any less and so often I see much of him in me (good and bad). It is a consolation to know that from all eternity GOD chose him to be my father and I know that I shall probably only fully understand it in eternity. Sister Wendy's meditation in Magnificat touches on some of these things today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad died in 1991. I read the Sr. Wendy piece - very good.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.