Friday, May 18, 2012

Hey Catholic Tabloid editors and readers...



You don't have to sensationalize everything.

The priests pictured here are NOT former priests, they are retired priests, and as far as I know, still in good standing, even though they have liberal opinions and wrote a letter to the editor supporting gay marriage.  (I'm against it.  Gay marriage, I mean.)

Photo: Retired Catholic priests Fr. John Brandes, Fr. Timothy Power and Fr. Thomas Garvey, left to right, wrote a letter to the Star Tribune expressing their opposition to a constitutional marriage amendment that would deny same-sex couples the right to marry. - Full story about the 80 former priests who spoke out against the Minnesota Marriage amendment here.

Just for fun, read some of the ridiculous comments on this story here.

3 comments:

  1. ....just seeing the name, fr. powers...spun me into a reverie, thinking about Wheat That Springeth Green, then, North of Hope....all from a mis-reading of the name: actually was thinking of j.f. powers, then onto Hassler. thanks !
    such a relief !!!!! lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:14 PM

    Well they couldn't let the LCWR get all the attention.

    Here some good news...I saw a vintage reprint of the Mpls Star & Sickle sitting at the lunch table at work the other day and it mentioned how some sons off Chuch in the Arch of St Paul didn't seem to care much for Pope Paul VI's Humane Vitae and how they went all Martin Luther on it.

    I think the dissident count was something north of 160 on that in just the Archd. So, see things are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your "umbrella header."

    I find it extremely interesting that out of the 80 "ex-priests", the names of only six or eight have been released.

    I am betting all that I have, one dollar.three eighty-six, that the other 74 are guys who left the Church between 1965 and 1990.

    They were dissidents back then and if their names were released today, the knowing folks would burst into laughter.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.