Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Badmouthing Cardinals and others...


From rumor and innuendo, O Lord deliver us.

For the past week or so, New Advent ran a link to Cardinal Wuerl's blog and a piece he wrote about what, I'm not sure.  I didn't read it because of all the bad press I've read and even documented, regarding the Fr. Guarnizo communion incident.  Now when I see Wuerl's name, it is all I can think about - as well as all the other rumors which circulate about him.  The same situation has developed over Cardinal Schönborn and his approval of a gay parish council member, which over ruled the parish priest's decision against it.  Rumors and name calling continues to circulate around the public image of Cardinal Schönborn as well, making it difficult to muster respect or trust such people.

Our words really destroy the reputations of one another, don't they.  Not just our blog posts and comments on other blog posts and news articles, or our wall posts and tweets - we do it via emails too - many times about one another. 

I think it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a blogger to enter the kingdom of God.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:58 PM

    Hi Terry,

    Gossip on the web or any place is a bad idea. Here is a defination of gossip that I keep on my computer all the time: Gossip; a truth about another person that does not need to be told. I hope you are enjoying this cool but sunny day here in MN.
    Happy Easter to you!

    Katie and her clan

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I suppose the answer is to avoid the subject of Father Guarnizo altogether. The whole thing has left a very bad taste in my mouth. One can be silent, pray for and at the same time not condone the behavior of prelates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/austrian-priest-overruled-by-cardinal-regarding-homosexual-on-parish-counci

    ....The Austrian Independent reported Tuesday that Fr. Swierzek has asked his superiors for another assignment. He said he was “saddened” that the cardinal archbishop of Vienna met with Stangl and his partner but had refused to meet with him about the situation.

    The German language Catholic news service Kreuz.net quoted Fr. Swierzek saying “I have a priestly conscience and I respect divine and ecclesiastical law.” He explained that he could not remain active in a parish, whose members “wanted their right at any price”.

    He cited the teaching of the Church according to Pope John Paul II and the Catechism of the Catholic Church on homosexual behaviour. “Living in sin is not considered to be the norm in a Catholic Church community,” he said. “It is much more the task of a priest to bring a sinner to penance.” ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The nastiest comments come from those using anonymous options or pseudonym.

    I find it interesting that with major news sources converting their com-boxes to require a sign-in with Facebook and other social media, there is not only a dramatic decrease in numbers, but the comments are more civil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right, and well-said.

      Delete
  5. What I find most distressing and disturbing is that there would even be a situation such as the Father Guarnizo affair, Father Michael Rodriguez or Father Altier etc etc or the situation in Austria. There is something very, very wrong that this is even an issue with men who we are to look to for guidance. This should disturb any Catholic. I ask myself if this were 1965 instead of 2012 would such a thing even be happening? of course not. but why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a priest told me recently - sometimes bishops and priests need to criticized. I think we have to be careful about doing so charitably and constructively - but if all else fails - I don't think there is anything wrong with calling a spade a spade.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.