Friday, March 02, 2012

Should the priest get the boot?



I discovered on another blog that a poll is up on whether or not Fr. Guarnizo should be disciplined for refusing communion to Barbara Johnson at her mom's funeral.  I went to the source and checked 'no'.  You can do it too, click here

Polls like this mean absolutely nothing.  My opinion here means even less.  But I don't think the priest should be sent into exile over this unfortunate episode. 

Chances are that he will be however.  Or at least silenced.

If it happened here - or I should say, if it happened here a few years ago, the priest might lose his teaching position at the diocesan college and sent to an out of the way parish.  Or he could be reassigned as a chaplain to an obscure nursing home and instructed not to speak publicly.  Or he might just be suspended indefinitely for psychological evaluation.  In other situations, a priest might be called back to the diocese he conveniently incardinated himself in, or, he may be exiled from the diocese he originally sought refuge from the liberals in.  They do these things to very strict, traditionalist priests.  No matter how much those who support them protest.

In the meantime people opine and souls are lost.

Bonus:  An amazing factoid.  Did you know that priests have been known to withhold communion to communicants who knelt to receive?  It happened in churches near me.  It never made the news.

6 comments:

  1. Or he could be reassigned as a chaplain to an obscure nursing home and instructed not to speak publicly.

    Now, that particular situation was a real eye opener for me. we have a name for this type of situation in Montana it's called ***backwards. Whenever I hear about a priest who is holy, zealous for souls, loves the faith, has backbone and is verbal about it....I know that he probably won't be around very long and I find that digusting and appalling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonus: An amazing factoid. Did you know that priests have been known to withhold communion to communicants who knelt to receive? It happened in churches near me. It never made the news.

    I've actually been waiting for this to happen to me some place. I guess since I'm 6'1 and 290 they figure I must know what I'm doing and let it go. They don't want to take a chance on an angry Hawaiian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately this has turned into he said/she said, each side having their own cheer-leaders, and the only ones that will ever know the truth is the two of them and God.

    You've got it right on both sides:

    "In the meantime people opine and souls are lost." though I'd add, "on both sides."

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Did you know that priests have been known to withhold communion to communicants who knelt to receive?"

    Yes. It happened to my then 10 year old daughter at daily mass at the Cathedral here in Denver.

    We also had our pastor writ large who served the orthodox community here sent back East around the same time because he wasn't a company man.

    Over the years I've seen many a good priest exiled and similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother has been refused communion when kneeling to receive, on two separate occasions, by two different priests. She was wearing a mantilla at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joel, that makes me sad. God bless your mother.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.