Sunday, February 19, 2012

Mass Chat: Get rid of that !)@^^& Gather hymnal.



Or.  Kind of an update on the new translation.

It's fine.  I still trip over the words and forget some of the responses - I don't like to have to read along while trying to keep up with shotgun recitations of the Creed and other acclamations.  No, I'm not complaining - it's my problem.  Pitiable.

I have always hated the Gather hymnal however - and it has not disappeared from the order of Mass...  I'm not sure what was worse, the translation or the Gather hymns - I think it was the hymns.

Last evening we had a particularly shrill cantor leading the songs - after Communion she sang - to thudding piano accompaniment - 'Eat this bread, eat this bread, eat this bread...' repeating the refrain over and over.  I wanted stand up and shout, "Eat the bread yourself!  I just received Communion - shut up!" 

But I didn't.  I tried to offer my impatience as my thanksgiving, and in a moment, it seemed I recovered my peace and was able to recollect myself.  Amazing grace!  Oh!  That was the entrance hymn BTW.

I'm not a good man. 

Art:  MichaĆ«l Borremans, Belgian artist.  In his works, Borremans traces the contradictions and conflicts of human existence: between self-assertion and dissolution, the individual and the collective, desire and angst, control and loss, the moral and the abysmal. Being shown are illusions of identity, freedom, and the controllability of the world, which the artist presents to us with its wealth of instability.

17 comments:

  1. I feel your pain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need some peace? Try this.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2di2qARsGco

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The moral of the story is avoid churches with pianos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The moral of the story is avoid churches with pianos....

    ...and womyn dressed in vestments.

    *

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have enough trouble not holding hands during the Pater Noster and hoping they don't sing their favorite song: GATHER US IN I would strongly urge anyone within listening distance to do the Extraordinary Mass all through Lent and see how it forms your piety and fervor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As an Orthodox who works/sings for a Catholic parish, I fully support that sentiment. How do think I feel having to sing that crap?! I go to a Sarum Rite parish when not at work, and the priest can't understand how I could work for a Catholic parish for 5 years and not know ANY of the Tones and Propers. "What do they do?" "Protestant music" "*shakes head in wonder*"

    ReplyDelete
  8. My personal idea of Hell is an endless loop of "Jerusalem, My Destiny!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pablo, imagine my horror when I stumbled into a conversation with the HR director where I worked at the time, who claims his wife is a Roman Catholic priest.

    It was a conversational train wreck and I learned how theology must be twisted in order to believe the women can be priests and their ordinations are valid. It was horrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Servus,

    I always thought it was "Gather A Sin."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been complaining about the music at Mass for years. I wonder how many other people feel the same. I think we are in the minority though.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  12. "...who claims his wife is a Roman Catholic priest..."

    Keep praying.

    Beg Heaven there will be enough of us men left to do battle with those that meet together against God and His Christ, those Judases inside Holy Mother Church, and from Hell.

    Weep that He allow His breath to be upon us, that He not abandon us to our sins.

    "...before setting to work for God and to fight against the devil, first calculate your forces; and if you consider yourself well enough equipped to begin, you are a fool, because the tower to be built costs an outrageous price, and the enemy coming out to meet you is an angel, before whom you are of no account.

    Get to know yourself so well that you cannot contemplate yourself without flinching.

    Then there will be room for hope.

    In the sure knowledge that you are obliged to do the impossible in Him who strengthens you, then you are ready for a task which can be performed only through the Cross."

    *

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous5:58 PM

    Our out going pastor replaced Gather with the Adoremus Hymnal. However, we have a new pastor, associate and deacon. All 3 are known as the most liberal in the diocese. Let's hope Gather doesn't reappear.

    Shirley Suarez

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my intercessory prayers every morning without fail is this:

    I pray for a full universal restoration of the treasury of Catholic sacred music in every parish....for a restoration of the Versus Deum/Ad Orientem orientation of Holy Mass....that Gregorian Chant and Polyphony finally be given pride of place...for a universal restoration of altar railings and kneeling communion...for a universal implementation that Latin is to remain the language of the Church and the faithful should be able to sing the parts of the Mass together in Latin that pertain to them.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. ROFL! Please bring a video camera if you with you if you ever decide for the shout down. Wouldn't you think this has had to have happened at least once in the last 50 years?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was so close! I wonder if anyone has tried to 'shout it out' though?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes! The theology is SO protestant in that dang hymnal. Why do we still use it? Sigh

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. Be sure and double check if your comment posted after you do the verification deal - sometimes it doesn't print if you made an error.