Monday, December 05, 2011

The last Christmas feast...


Monastery Christmas
I made this painting last Christmas after a photo posted by the former Br. Stephen of the now disbanded Cistercian Abbey of Our Lady of Springbank, Sparta, Wisconsin. It features the hog's head prepped for their final Christmas feast, 2010.  Included in the composition is my own cat, Celine, who died on the feast of St. Teresa a year ago last October. 
I loved the photos and posts Br. Stephen Treat posted on his blog Sub Tuum, on life in the monastery.  No doubt the monks lived rather 'high on the hog' when it came to abbey feasting - one of the monks was an excellent cook who obviously enjoyed preparing wonderful cuisine.  Nothing wrong with good food.
Although there is always that danger that such an extraordinary form of monastic life can sometimes result in the observance becoming just a tad too regal... 

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. I like it, its a fine piece of work. Love Celine!
    Blessings and prayers.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. I still have the photo btw. http://badgercatholic.blogspot.com/2010/12/merry-christmas-from-cistercians.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me think of The Boar's Head Carol.
    Your kitty was cute, I'm sure you miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    This is like Hieronymous Bosch meets Paul Stilwell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Random Friar7:23 PM

    Food is often a religious' greatest weakness. Mebbe that's why we're supposed to fast so much.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.