Monday, November 07, 2011

Blog Notes



I'm starting a new discipline - I think, I hope - God willing.

Immediately after morning prayer I will begin painting, rather than writing.  It's a better use of my time.  Then manual work after that and writing later in the day perhaps.  Then a return to painting and evening prayer.  Sounds monastic - but it's not.   

It is mid day now and I just came online.  I checked news and a few other blog sites - not interested in any of it.  If only I could be completely detached from the Internet and go back to life without wasting my time on trivia and gossip - religious and secular.

I checked my old blog, Rome-ing Catholics, looking for an old post I could possibly re-publish.  "How pretentious!"  I said to myself.  The posts are an embarrassment.  There remain comments that those who wrote them could be embarrassed about as well.  Are we certain we want to document every stupid thing we think about for posterity?

A couple of the old commenters have gone on to 'celebrity' status.  They were - are - ambitious... and possibly deluded.

Which reminds me - my painting "Blognic" featuring a few former 'online friends' is coming along fine.  It's taking a long time - but I'm hoping it turns out well. 

Have a nice day.

9 comments:

  1. Cool cool. I envy your discipline, Terry. Godspeed in your new schedule. If it means more paintings from you, I'm down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "... my painting "Blognic" featuring a few former 'online friends' is coming along fine..."

    I hope you have me with my mitre and crosier while I am Pontificating from On High at your blog...

    *

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry said: “If only I could be completely detached from the Internet and go back to life without wasting my time on trivia and gossip - religious and secular.”

    Sounds to me as if the Lord is speaking to your heart, Terry. I wonder what he might be asking of you? :)

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More painting....excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Terry, unlike some others, I would hate to see you shut down and leave entirely, but do what you think you need to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had artistic ability... Terry, do paint.

    I love art, love it. Especially when it connects with me.

    Do paint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ter, please stop over-analyzing yourself and giving yourself such a hard time over your blog. Reading it is one of the highlights of my day. Think of it as a spiritual duty, a work of mercy. For that, I thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:02 AM

    Terry: your blog is one of the few that I check more than once a day. I find your insights very helpful and also they encourage me in my spiritual battle. fr ray/dc

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW - "pretentious" should have been, "presumptuous".

    Thanks everyone for you encouragement.

    Pilgrim - I agree - I think it is a call to a deeper detachment, and that 'freedom of spirit' Sunday's prayer/collect inspires and directs our prayer toward: "Give us freedom of spirit, and health in mind and body."

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will no longer be accepted.
Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. Be sure and double check if your comment posted after you do the verification deal - sometimes it doesn't print if you made an error.