Saturday, September 17, 2011

Feast of the Sacred Stigmata of our Holy Father St. Francis of Assisi

I have always believed that the sacred stigmata received by St. Francis was unique in the history of the Church. I do not think that there has ever another saint, blessed, or mystic, who had been marked with the holy wounds of Christ, who experienced it in the same manner - or to such a degree as St. Francis. What I'm trying to say is that I think Francis was more closely conformed to Christ in his sacred passion than any of the others - the stigmata was perhaps more universally efficacious, as it were. 
Clearly I don't know what I am talking about.  Neither do I have any way of proving it.  But happy feast day anyway.
St. Francis, pray for us that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Posted by Picasa


  1. Terry, did you paint that picture of St. Francis? I like it.
    I think you are right about his stigmata. Did you ever read G.K. Chesterton's biography of St. Francis? He had a similar take on Francis' stigmata.

  2. I love the Chesterton biography of St. Francis!

  3. Thanks Melody - I did.

    SF - I like Chesterton's bio as well - it has been years since I read it.

  4. Terry:

    I have a friend who says, "If you want to be a martyr, you wont be... because you want it too much, martyrs are for those that want it and dont know it..."

    So I have always wondered about the Stigmata, if it works that way? Then I started thinking, "What if God gave it to me?" Would I hide it? I would be soooo embarrassed, I would feel like that person that gets something undeserved and that I would almost be mad at myself. I would want to hide it. I wouldn't want people to view me as a witness to the wounds of Christ... but wait I think. Aren't we supposed to be living and preaching the Gospel through our actions? So why wouldnt I want it?

    Shouldn't I be preparing myself and striving daily to be worthy of such a thing? Should I be as Christ like as possible? What am I doing today that isn't worthy of the Stigmata?

    Thanks again Terry.


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.