Thursday, August 18, 2011

Keeping things in perspective



How greatly we worry about our honor...
.





I often tell you, sisters, and now I want it to be set down in writing, not to forget that we in this
house, and for that matter anyone who would be perfect, must flee a thousand leagues from such
phrases as: “I had right on my side”; “They had no right to do this to me”; “The person who treated
me like this was not right”. God deliver us from such a false idea of right as that! Do you think that
it was right for our good Jesus to have to suffer so many insults, and that those who heaped them
on Him were right and that they had any right to do Him those wrongs? - Teresa of Avila, Way of Perfection, Chapter 3
 .
For the love of God, never let charity move you to show pity for another in anything to do with these fancied insults, for that is like the pity shown to holy Job by his wife and friends. - Ibid, Chapter 2
.
Just something to think about for those of us who often fancy ourselves above reproach.
.
Art:  Teresa of Avila