See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains. - James 5:7

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Fr. Mychal Judge, OFM



A humble hero of 9/11.
.
A couple of years ago I posted about Fr. Mychal Judge, O.F.M., the heroic FDNY chaplain who was killed during the 9/11 attack on the Twin Towers. It has since been acknowledged that Fr. Judge was gay and did not hide his homosexual orientation, although those who knew him insist he had been unjustly "outed" by gay activists:
"Prior to Father Mike's death, everyone who knew him for any length of time would never describe him as a homosexual. In fact, never has even one homosexual activist ever provided evidence that Father Mike was "gay." Yet, in newspapers immediately after the funeral mass, Brendan Fay was quoted saying that Father Mike was a homosexual. Fay arranged a media event where many people spoke of Father Mike's concern for the homosexual community and claimed Father Mike was "gay." This was news to me, and I knew Father Mike for nearly a decade.
.
After the first series of newspapers stories reported that Father Mike was a homosexual, suddenly politicians were standing up in Congress lamenting the death of "Father Mike, the gay priest." Concerned that Father Mike was being used by homosexual activists, I began to contact many people who knew him for as long or longer than I did. I wanted the truth about Father Mike to be published. Not one of these longtime friends ever heard or saw anything that Father Mike did that would indicate he was homosexual. I personally spent weeks at a time with Father Mike where he and I spoke about many personal matters. Not once was there even a suggestion that Father Mike was "gay." He was a celibate Catholic priest and nothing more." - Source
 
I posted that back in 2009 and a commenter corrected me explaining that Fr. Mychal really had come out as a gay man:


The old article you cite by Dennis Lynch, denying that Fr. Mychal Judge was homosexual, was debunked years ago.

The evidence is now conclusive that Fr. Mychal Judge did, in fact, self-identify as gay, though chaste and celibate. The evidence includes Judge's own handwritten journal entries, published in Michael Daly's biography of him.

Since Lynch’s 2002 article, many close friends of Judge, including former FDNY Commissioner Tom Von Essen, Fr. Brian Carroll, Fr. John McNeill, and Fr. Bernard Lynch, have repeatedly confirmed that Judge identified himself to them as a gay man.
.
Fr. Brendan O'Rourke said, "Mychal had come to terms with being gay, and disagreed with official church teaching about gay orientation and gay relationships." (p. 182: Ford, Michael: Father Mychal Judge: An Authentic American Hero. Paulist Press).
.
(Note: we use 'gay' and 'homosexual' interchangeably to describe orientation only; by all accounts he was faithful to his priestly vows).

Then Judge himself publicly acknowledged his orientation many times. For example, "Look at who we are as gay people at this moment in history, being a gift for the church, being agents of change in both church and society." (p.184: Ford).
.
Daly's 2008 biography decisively settles the question. Daly published excerpts of Judge's personal journals in which he wrote in detail of the struggles and joys of accepting himself as a gay man. (Daly, Michael: The Book of Mychal: the Surprising Life & Heroic Death of Fr. Mychal Judge: 2008).
.
For example, Mychal wrote, "I thought of my gay self and how the people I meet never get to know me fully … (yet) I feel no guilt, none whatsoever today -- I feel on the train Home. I am at peace finally. This is what You want me to do, Lord ... You, You alone, brought me here. I have nothing to fear today. Thank You, thank You, Lord !" (pp. 86, 301-302: Daly).

It's significant that in the face of all this evidence, Dennis Lynch never pressed his claim after 2002. Nor have Mychal's Franciscan order or family ever denied that Mychal self-identified as a gay man. Indeed, two Franciscan publications,
St. Anthony's Messenger
http://www.americancatholic.org/Messenger/Dec2002/books.asp#F9
and AmericanCatholic.org
http://www.americancatholic.org/eNews/FriarJack/fj112102.asp#F4.
have acknowledged the same.
.
Judge did not come out to those, like Lynch, with deep visceral reactions and prejudices. Mychal picked and chose when and to whom to come out.

In the end it's clear that Fr. Mychal Judge was selectively, if not generally, open about his gay orientation and self-identity. And although he was celibate, he did not agree with official teaching on same-gender relationships.
10:22 PM

Today there is talk of Fr. Mychal as Gay Catholic Icon.
.
I admire Fr. Mychal - on 9/11 he went down to the burning towers to administer the sacraments to the dying - he sacrificed his life to exercise his priestly ministry in persona Christi.  No one can ever take that away from him - he is a hero.  Sadly, if he disagreed with Church teaching regarding homosexuality as noted by Fr. Brendan O'Rourke, who said, "Mychal had come to terms with being gay, and disagreed with official church teaching about gay orientation and gay relationships."  - I'm not sure he can be considered a role model or patron 'saint' in the strict sense for gay Catholics.
.
If Father had publicly disagreed with Church teaching, or did so within the context of the sacrament of penance and spiritual direction, I find that troubling.  If he struggled privately with Church teaching yet publicly supported it - that would be a different matter.  I don't know if that was how it worked for him however.  Lately I've noticed that more and more Catholics with same sex attraction are identifying as gay - which seems to suggest they accept the gay political agenda and therefore reject the teaching of the Church regarding homosexuality.  Yet I've discovered that is not always the case.  I've come across a few Catholic bloggers with SSA who identify as gay Catholics yet live chaste and celibate lives in fidelity to Church teaching.  Therefore, if Fr. Mychal had accepted and promoted Church teaching in that way, while ministering to those who struggle with SSA - right where they are at, so to speak - that type of fidelity could be exemplary.
.
Sadly, that was not the case.
Journal entries published in a "The Book of Mychal," a 2008 biography, show Judge struggling with the secretiveness his sexual orientation sometimes required. "I thought of my gay self and how the people I meet never get to know me fully," he wrote.
The priest bent church rules by joining the gay Catholic group Dignity and allowing it to meet in his Franciscan-run parish. He counseled gay couples and the parents of gay children, according to Fay, and began ministering to AIDS victims during the 1980s, when the disease was considered a gay scourge.
.
But even some of the Judge's closest friends didn't know he was gay, said David Fullam, whose firehouse sat across the street from the Franciscan friary. The former firefighter wears a bracelet emblazoned with Judge's name and donated $240 recently to All Saints' monument fund.
.
"We knew that he ministered to the AIDS population and the gay population," Fullam said. "He was very inclusive." While some firefighters were taken aback when they learned that Judge was gay after his death, they would have accepted him regardless, he said.
.
"We didn't care if he was gay or straight," Fullam said. "We loved him." - Gay Catholic Icon
What's the problem then?
.
Even Fr. James Martin asks that question. 
The Rev. James Martin, culture editor of the Jesuit magazine America, said some Catholics are uncomfortable with Judge's sexual orientation and downplay that aspect of his life.
.
"But why should they be? For all we know, he lived a perfectly celibate life," Martin said. "He lived as the Catechism asked him to live and kept his ordination promises. Gay, straight or somewhere in between, he's a hero. If you rush into a burning building to minister to people, while knowing that you might die, that's true holiness." Ibid
I like Fr. Martin, but to answer his question I would respectfully reply:  It seems to me the problem lies with the notion that homosexual behavior and relationships are good - that they are somehow part of God's will.  As noted, "The priest bent church rules by joining the gay Catholic group Dignity and allowing it to meet in his Franciscan-run parish."  As Catholics, I don't think we can bend Church teaching to suit ourselves.
.
Indeed, I truly admire Fr. Mychal and pray God accepted his sacrifice, but I'm very sad that he has been mythologized as some sort of gay patron saint or icon.  In my opinion, the man's greatness, indeed his holiness was his fidelity to his vocation and ministry as priest - culminating in his final sacrifice at the World Trade center on 9/11.  Charity covers a multitude of sins.  Having said that, I prefer the biography of Fr. Mychal Judge offered by his Province of the Holy Name, I link to it here:  About Father Mychal.  It focuses upon the man, the priest - not his sexual orientation.
.
May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.  Amen.

41 comments:

  1. My first inclination is to implore you to "piss off." Fr. Mychal is a patron of mine, canonized or not. I made a pilgrimage to his friary in NYC. I pray for his intercession.

    First inclinations aren't always the best way to go, however, so I would simply ask for a little more courtesy when speaking of the dead, of dead priests, of dead men who gave their lives in the service of others, and dead men who brought comfort and Christ to thousands of people during his ministry, and continues to today long after his death.

    If you don't like him, that's totally cool. No one says you have to. I do question the motivation, however.

    I'm now ready for the onslaught. You have a lot of crazies that I'm waiting to hear from, buddy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year, to "honor" 9-11, I watched the documentary The Saint of 9/11, which is about this priest. A tear-jerker, but has an agenda to be sure. I was impressed by the compassion this man had for others and it was told in the film that when he would hear the confessions of men on their death beds with AIDS (he would go when no other priest would, allegedly)he would hear their confessions and then pause and they could silently mention "anything else" they wanted to be reconciled for to the Lord. That was his way around giving the last rites to those who didn't believe their homosexual lifestyles were a sin. I'm going to get flack for this, but, I think that is a good way to handle the situation. Only God knows what is in their hearts.

    What bothered me about the documentary wasn't the gay thing so much, but the slant that liberals love to use, something like, in the face of this corrupt institution, here stood one holy man against the big, bad, evil hierarchy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often wonder if the Second Coming won't be a very quiet affair, with the attitude of most of us being, "Get this crazy hippie out of here before He disgraces the Church!"

    Maybe I'm turning into a liberal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many views can be expressed here. I think everyone's got something right.

    Clark, you're not turning into a liberal. I always thought that if we met Christ, some would find him too harsh, others appallingly lax.

    Me, I don't know how I'd handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew this was going to happen, or, better stated, "happened." No doubt that the posthumous Mychal Judge would be used by anybody and everybody to advance some B.S. political agenda. Gay, straight, politician, everybody is going to elucidate or refute some aspect of the late priest's life, depending on how agreeable or useful that portion of his life is to them. Let's stick to the things that matter and worry less about the corollaries of his life that, for all we know, only he and Christ know fully.

    Was he a priest that fulfilled his sacerdotal obligations? Did he remain faithful to his celibacy promise? I would start with these, although one is understandably curious enough to ask more.

    Can you say "yes" to the questions above and still go the way of perdition? Absolutely. But I don't see Fr. Judge--to the limited extent that I know him--to qualify as an irredeemable heretic who maliciously encouraged disobedience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love him. He loved souls as God does. He lived, risked and gave his own life serving and saving souls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fr. Martin and his Jesuit confreres in the lavendar mafia, among others, have appropriated a deceased monk for their propganda. There are certaily worse things; however, such behavior seems pretty way down at the bottom of the barrel. What I find morally reprehensible is reducing a person's spritual life to identity politics. Christ is surely not easy to find here. If our eyes are on us and our "sexual identity" how can our eyes be on God?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shadow:

    How are you? Let us assume for the purposes of argument that the claims made about this man are correct, that he would not assent to Church teaching re homosexuality, that he publicy dissented? How is this man a model for anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You just can't help yourself, can you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am assuming this was directed at me:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who else? You aren't nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing - the no. of cowards who hide in the anonymity of cyberspace. And good for them!...otherwise they'ld have thier butts sued off for libel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Renee6:11 PM

    Jesus told told us that if we keep his commandments, we abide in his love and are his friends. His commandment was that we should love each other as he had loved us. "Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

    Father Mike rushed into a collapsing tower to give comfort to the dying and lost his own life in the process. I hope that I can one day be as unselfish and as faithful to the Lord's commandments as he was.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6:36 PM

    years ago our kids sang in the choir over at the cathedral here. they had to wear red cassocks and a frilly apron like over it with a tie at the top. the wife would be up half the night startch ironing those things and that back when we made our own startch. wasn't no dry cleanin back then round here at least. couple times those frilly aprons got tangled up between the house and the cathedral and sister would send em on home couldn't sing that day. see there was somethin called standards back in them days. it was a privlege to sing in the cathedral choir at the bishop's mass. nowadays you got folks airing all the dirty laundry of the church, molestin ones, funny ones and the like. now growin up i guess we was aware some priests could be a little funny but if you wouldn't even dare think it about a priest, much less say it. now they make saints out of em. go figure. nope no matter what they say church sure has changed since my day.

    ed

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry for the misunderstanding - I guess I did not express myself very well. I greatly admire Fr. Mychal - I can't judge his soul. I trust God accepted the offering he made in and through his religious profession and priesthood, as well as his ministry. I trust God accepted his final sacrifice at the twin towers. I respect and admire him as a holy man.

    I questioned his being a role model for gay Catholics since it appears he differed with Church teaching on the issue. I expect that could be an impediment if his cause was ever brought before the Congregation for the Cases of Saints. I'm only guessing of course. I never intended to disrespect the man - I accept the teaching of the Church on sexuality and marriage - hence my concern regarding Fr. Mychal's dispositions.

    That said, regardless of his sexual orientation or his interpretation of Catholic teaching, I believe he was a faithful priest, as Fr. Martin SJ points out. Fr. Mychal died as he lived - ministering to those most in need. I consider him a hero of 9/11, and by his conduct, a model for priests who find themselves faced with disaster and war.

    I don't know the state of his soul, so I continue to pray for him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not 'Cases' but 'Causes of Saints'.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Speaking for myself, my comments were NOT directed at you but at those sources who are either trying to glorify or disparage Fr. Judge solely for their purposes. Basically the users. They focus (or omit) parts of his life just to push their agendas.

    I suspect that he was a good man who had his own cross to carry in this life. Did the best that he could, even if he did so imperfectly (like most of us).

    What also sickens me (somewhat related to the topic of Mychal Judge) is when I see Catholics focusing on the tiniest, slightest hint of incorrectness in someone else's life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Renee7:14 PM

    Terry, I understood what you were saying about Father Judge, and I agree with you. I was more responding to Maria who seemed to be saying that because he perhaps dissented with regard to Church teaching on gay issues that there was nothing about Father Judge's life to be admired or modeled.

    He was a sinner like the rest of us. But all of us could look to him as a model of someone who gave his life for his neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was more responding to Maria who seemed to be saying that because he perhaps dissented with regard to Church teaching on gay issues that there was nothing about Father Judge's life to be admired or modeled

    Renee: I don't think that I said "there is nothing about Father Judge's life to be admired or modeled", did I? My question was HYPOTHETICAL: "Let us assume for the purposes of argument that the claims made about this man are correct, that he would not assent to Church teaching re homosexuality, that he publicy dissented? How is this man a model for anyone?".

    I guess I am confused. Are we saying that public dissent is a role model we should emulate?


    My objections are those that Tom raises. I don't think that appropriating a deceased cleric, irrespective of the state of his soul or how he lived out his life--a matter for God and the cleric, for political ends, either for or against homosexuality, is appropriate. It is unseemly. I also object to identifying priests by their sexaul oritentation, as I do any Catholic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you were very clear Terry and I did not think you were judging the man at all. Neither are any of us in a position to know how God would judge him. Heck, I wouldn't even venture to guess how God will judge me. I have to say that I don't approve of Dignity Masses. But by the same token, how can we hope to convert people by ostracizing them? And I say that as someone in dire need of conversion myself. I think it's unfortunate that any priest would think of his sexual orientation, whatever it might be, as something people need to know. Now if Father had said he wished more gay men knew about his orientation and how he managed to remain celibate in spite of it, that would be one thing. I haven't ever known a straight priest to discuss his orientation, have you? Except as an example of how one can overcome such sin on the path to holiness, it's something I don't feel we have a right or need to know. Thus endeth my rant.

    ReplyDelete
  21. ginger7:57 PM

    "Another brother asked Abba Sisoes, 'I have fallen, Abba; what shall I do?' The old main said to him, 'Get up again.' The brother said, 'I have gotten up again, but again have I fallen.' The old man said, 'Get up again and again.' So the brother asked, 'How many times?' The old man replied, 'Until you are taken up either in virtue or in sin. For a man presents himself to judgment in that state in which he is found.' - Sayings of the Desert Fathers"

    This priest was obviously taken up in virtue. Whatever difficulties he experienced and whatever disagreements he may have had with Church teaching obviously did not prevent him from growing in such holiness as to be able to give up his life to minister the sacraments to the dying. If that doesn't embody heroic virtue, I don't know what does.

    I would hold this man up as a role model for my six children. Would that whatever lives they lead will bring them ever closer to such a state of holiness.

    When Jesus says "Greater love hath no man", I take him at His Word. Fr. Mychal obviously followed the most important commandment of Jesus, and for that I feel fairly confident he will be rewarded eternally with the rest of the saints.

    His sexual identity matters not one whit to me. Of course, the great irony is that his story was used to bolster the image of the priesthood, when our Church has let it be known that men such as he are not to be allowed into the seminary in the first place anymore.

    As for being exploited, I felt the same way about JPII. When men such as these die, their memories are quickly expoited for a wide variety of agendas.

    I can understand why JPII said the opposite of love is use.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I tried to comment earlier, but Blogger wouldn't accept my password for some reason! So now I will chime in, and let the chops fall.

    Fr. Judge was a homosexual man. yet, he lived chastely, and choose a life of service.

    At the same time, he did actively and publicly reject the churches teachings on morality. He was disobedient, for the Church has forbidden priests and religious from participating in the "Dignity ministry", as it teaches people that practicing sodomy, tribidism and other acts which are mortally sinful is OK, even a positive thing.

    This would be compounded if he counseled people in pastoral counseling,Spiritual Direction or Confession that it was OK.

    Yet the man went into near certain death, to bring the Sacraments and Christ's consolation to those in imminent danger of death. He did so knowingly. Moreover, he did this under circumstances that were brought about by people who were trying to further the cause of a false religion that is inimical to Christianity. He is at least what our Russian Orthodox Brethren call a "Passion Bearer", and perhaps even a martyr. "Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

    So what does all this mean? It means that Fr. Judge was a man, just like us. And who of us hasn't sinned grievously? I certainly have, and I've come nowhere near his example of chastity in my personal life, and I've led other who came to me for advice into sin.

    I just hope that when my number comes up, I die as well as he.

    ReplyDelete
  23. No disrespect here, Terry, and I mean that--

    You're the one who always says people shouldn't divulge their sexuality.

    And yet, that was the point of this post?

    Could you not have simply written about a man who gave his life for his flock? Who cared for the outcast when no one else would?

    I can't see how you meant to do anything but cause controversy.

    He is one of my patrons not because he was gay, but because he was a Franciscan... he showed love to EVERY person he met... he lived his faith, and he died his faith. His sexuality only helped make him who he was. It didn't define him. Posts like this take away from what this Passion Bearer (yes, IR, that's right) is: a model and an intercessor.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good post, ignorant redneck. Very well said.

    Thom, don't be so hard on Terry - I understand what he was trying to say. I also understand what you're saying, and Maria. Clark is also spot-on.

    Now I wonder what you-know-who has to say ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mercury, you are very magnanimous and amicable this evening. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thom - the motivation for the post was the gay icon issue - that's all - I wrestled with that - this is the third post I did and the only one I deemed suitable to publish. However as I said, more and more Catholics with SSA seem to be identifying as gay Catholics. What to say? I dunno. I can't live other people's lives.

    Redneck - you said it better than I could - you save the post - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ditto on Redneck. For somwe reason I am remembering what Hardon said: "who are the people who are generous with others ? Are they not those with whom God has been generous? Thanks Clark --I mean no harm :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very well written post.

    I enjoyed reading it.

    You always have good posts that say what others are afraid to say.

    I think when people criticize you it is because you have shined light into the darkness of their souls.

    The Apache Indians here in Arizona used to say;

    "White man speakum with tongue of Fire."

    *

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for the posting Terry..I did not know much about Fr Mychal.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thom, just trying to be nice is all :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. "I'm very sad that he has been mythologized as some sort of gay patron saint or icon"

    Ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  32. "Could you not have simply written about a man who gave his life for his flock? Who cared for the outcast when no one else would?"

    I don't mean to speak for Terry but from what I got out of reading his post, the point was that it is quite saddening that this man's sexuality is overshadowing his other accomplishments. It's a legit point - and I think if you reflect on it more, you'll find that you agree.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have been unfortunate enough, actually heartbroken in some instances, to know, or know of, suicides by homosexual persons. I was given the bible of one man who had underlined a few scriptures, then believing himself so evil, that he gassed himself. His friend, who I knew in the eighties had kept his bible and gave it to me, asking me if I could get a priest to pray for the man's soul. He had kept the bible for years and it crashed into my soul, the fact that he trusted me to gain some sort of spiritual solace for his friends soul, or at least organise this.

    My view of Fr Michel as a role model is mani-fold. He dares to risk loving outcasts, sinners. He gives expensive coats away to poor homeless people. He loves suffering alcoholics, because he used to be one. He tends to those whom the world, also the Catholic church sometimes, rejects, or uses as an example of evil, as it reflects on it's own goodness, such as the modern untouchables, dying aid's victims. They know mercy, love and forgiveness, before they die.

    As a Church, we treat homosexuals appallingly. We do not follow the catechism's advises, we are mainly seen as militantly against and deeply untrusting of people who have SSA.
    Fr Michel wasn't. He was Christ the redeemer to these precious souls.
    I regularly hear Catholics use derogatory words to describe homosexuals, it's not good.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks Clark --I mean no harm :)

    Sorry--Mercury this was intended for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. 1. Yes, Fr Judge was Franciscan - in the way that Francis cared for the lepers in the days when leprosy was simply a divine scourge.
    2. Being chaste is not part of the so-called "priestly vow." All men and women religious take the vow of chastity. Priests promise to be chaste, as required by the canon law. It never fails to amaze how the religious vocation is neglected for a religious priest (or for that matter, a priestly religious).

    ReplyDelete
  36. No dignity and respect should be shown to homosexuality, lesbianism, trans whatever.

    Zero.

    We should re-catechize that we may more clearly understand God's will.

    Warm and fuzzy does not work.

    God has never compromised with sin.

    The Virgin Mary has zero tolerance for it.

    Pray for the Holy Father, his Priests, Nuns, and Religious.

    On that day when particular judgment falls upon them, those prayers will be greatly appreciated by them.

    The demon of homosexuality is one of the most powerful of fallen angels.

    Man is not the inventor of sin; homosexuality is Satan mocking God once again.

    The wages of all sin is Death.

    Pray hard for God's mercy.

    Invoke the Saints.

    Storm Heaven on behalf of all of us.

    *

    ReplyDelete
  37. Does it take practice to be that nasty, or does being an arrogant, self-righteous, uncompassionate ass just come naturally?

    ReplyDelete
  38. St M, said:

    "No dignity and respect should be shown to homosexuality, lesbianism, trans whatever.

    Zero.

    We should re-catechize that we may more clearly understand God's will.

    Warm and fuzzy does not work.

    God has never compromised with sin.

    The Virgin Mary has zero tolerance for it."

    So, you disagree with the wording in the catechism, do you? Where it tells others to show compassion and sensitivity to homosexual persons?
    It's not a suggestion, it's a direction. You would seek to do away with the mercy of God, because you find none in yourself, you try and make God spring from your heart, which is not beating in accordance with His.

    Sometimes, you should be quiet. You often comment here as if you are the final say on all things Catholic.
    You're not mate, you're bang out of order on this one and I hope Terry pulls you up about it. The Church is not all sorted regarding pastoral care of homosexuals, it's in a bloody mess, so no-one, especially laity should be judging the latter. Many, many priests are SSA persons, this subject has yet to be addressed properly, openly, lovingly. Most Catholics just spout their prejudice because it doesn't touch them personally, but if one of their children were homosexual, perhaps then they would attempt to love the person.

    Our Lady is with sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Fr Michel was saying the rosary the day he died, as he was going up into the twin towers.

    You make her sound like a heartless cruel stepmother. You offend her reputuation with your own unconfessed prejudice.

    Lord forgive you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. St. Michael Defense,
    Father Mychal Judge had more holiness in his little finger than thousands of scribes, Pharisees, and canon lawyers combined.

    From the Saint Mychal Judge website:

    Even before his heroic death on 9/11, many considered Mychal Judge to be a living saint for his extraordinary compassion and deep spirituality.

    "Mychal had no use for physical things. Give him a cashmere sweater, and it would end up on the back of a homeless person. But go to him with a troubled soul, and he would listen intently for as long as it took." (Steven McDonald)

    While praying, Mychal would sometimes "become so lost in God, as if lost in a trance, that he'd be shocked to find several hours had passed" (Michael Daly). "He achieved an extraordinary degree of union with the divine. We knew we were dealing with someone directly in line with God." (Fr. John McNeill)

    “I, Mychal Judge, am not capable of doing these things on my own. I walk in, hold a hand, wipe a tear, say a prayer. But that’s not me, that’s the grace of God. I don’t worry about the details… it’s a mystery, it’s God.”

    ReplyDelete
  40. Chris in Maryland11:49 PM

    Terry:

    Your original post did something that is rarely seen - it paid homage to Fr. Judge, and it paid homage to the truth. Well done...a blessing to read something so thoughtful.

    And I agree with IR likewise...very well said.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The definition of a man must not be based on his sexual orientation but on the life he lived in service to God and his fellow men. I thought that we already lived in a more progressive time when a mentality such as this has already been or is already being removed from our consciousness. I was sadly mistaken.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.