See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains. - James 5:7

Thursday, May 12, 2011

The Archives



Last evening while watching American Idol I was going through my archives on this blog looking for old comments from a couple of people I never forgot - they were written about 5 years ago.  Do you ever read your archived posts and comments?  It might be a good idea.  You really get to see how you not only wasted your time - Pete and repeat - but you see exactly why the accounting at the end your life of every word you've said will be so painfully awful.
.
Anyway - I was looking for comments by a couple people who greatly disliked my point of view on various issues - I just wanted to reread their vitriol and compare it to contemporary comments.  It took some time, but I found a few.  I also noted that at some point the authors removed some of those comments, while at the same time, I noted readers who once linked to me and commented with praise to just about everything I wrote, who eventually cut off all contact - although I know they still read me.  I suppose these folks would be classified as 'former friends'.
.
One nasty lady who liked to comment was always looking for a fight - she had huge anger issues - I know because I worked with her.  She was a convert turned trad authority on dogma and all things Roman, who once asked other trad bloggers to leave contentious comments on my posts exposing me as a liberal. A couple of her allies continue to operate 'respected blogs' - others have faded away due to genuine responsibilities like a real job and a family.  The woman who so much enjoyed a good fight has since left the Church and returned to her Wiccan roots.  Another uber-Catholic papist turned critical of Catholic teaching seems to have abandoned the dogma of faith as well.  I just mention that because most of us do not know anything about our online-authority counterparts.  Some are drunk when they comment or blog, others are mentally ill, some are great big phonies, others are copying stuff out of a book, and some are just Ted Kazynskis without bomb-making skills.  But I digress.
.
The tactics employed by nearly all opponents have been mockery and statistic and research-study mongering, as well as pulling out papal documents to terrify, anathematize, intimidate, shame and discredit their enemies, and/or competition.  Not unlike what FrZ does in his campaign against publications he dislikes.  Other traditionalist Catholic bloggers operate in the same way. And of course, some of the homosexual activist bloggers employ similar tactics - sans any papal document of course.  In my opinion, such tactics pretty much discredit the source, and simply serves as the basis for irreconcilable differences and an occasion for vain arguments.  Which they all love to do.  Some like to think of it as dialogue.  How civilized.
.
So anyway, back to the archives.  Re-reading some of my posts I can spot immediately when I was trolling for readers and hits, and when I was sincerely blogging about what I believe.  I can see where I was trying to agitate and push buttons, and where I was definitely interested in witnessing to the faith.  I can also see where I was really funny - at least to myself - because some posts still make me laugh. All in all - the most beneficial part of blogging - the personal blog as opposed to the professional blog - seems to be the role of the journal.  Reading between the lines, you get a glimpse of yourself  you otherwise may not see - if you are honest and true to yourself.   You also may come to understand why others stopped reading or quit being your 'friend'.
.
It is good to realize not every one is going to like us or agree with us - and if it bothers us that they don't, then maybe we should just stop blogging and commenting and following and friending. 

7 comments:

  1. I've experienced this too. We all- myself included- take ourselves way too seriously sometimes, online and in "real" life. I'm working on it.

    btw, I love that show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I'm in love with Amy Farrah Fowler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog makes me deeply anxious and uncomfortable, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    I thought James Durbin was great tonight, but I'm supporting Haley Reinhart on principle.

    (What? I never told you I support Vote for the Worst?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Scotty! Although I do love me a metal rocker - Go James! And I want to adopt Lauren! Haley - the sooner she goes home the better. Simon would NEVER have put up with her growling. And Steven Tyler obviously has brain damage from all those drugs he abused if he thinks Haley is so great. And does anyone else think someone is feeding J.Lo. all those big words she uses through a hidden earpiece or on that little monitor in front of her?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. where did the comments go blogger? And what do the symbols mean next to my labels?

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.