Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lighten up...



Another post about nothing.
.
Larry does it every Sunday, so I am going to copy him.  That's just sad, I know.  But I'm a broken man and I need some laughs.
.
Did you hear about the nun that got kicked out of her monastery because she was always on Facebook?  No, it wasn't that Carmelite lady - it was that Spanish nun, Maria Jesus Galan, a Dominican.  She set up the monastery to be online, got a huge following on Facebook, maybe skipped a couple of those fun monastery recreations to bang on her keyboard all night, and mother superior jumps the gun and boots her out.  What would happen if Fr. Z online 24/7 lived in community?  Maria Jesus Galan wants to see the world now that she is out.  I hope someone tells her the story of the singing nun... "2 good 2 go 4 boys".  Then she killed herself.  What?
.
As the Holy Father said - the Internet is incontinent - no wait - it's the new continent?  I don't know - but whenever Catholic bloggers/facebookie-twits are cautioned about how much time they spend online - they come up with the incontinent excuse and that the Holy Father said they should be 'out there'.  One pastor evidently takes that admonition so seriously he answered his iPhone during Mass.  He's obviously hip and well connected.  
.
Republicans - can't live with them, can't live without them.  I know.  I'm as apolitical as I am asexual however.  Is that bad?  Never mind.
.
Republican South Carolina Sen. Jim DeMint lashed out recently against a group he deemed was becoming a cadre of "political animals": the Muppets.  Evidently the Muppets are protesting funding cuts to PBS...  The Senator accused the Muppets of inappropriate political behavior.  I always knew the Muppets were no damn good.  Miss Piggy is nothing but a slut.
.
So anyway - Sarah Palin leaped back onto the news scene telling the Wisconsin Badger people not to fall for the pinko-commie-union bosses propaganda machine and sacrifice their job stability, pay and benefits for the common good... in other words, look for new work and let the citizens of Wisconsin settle for fewer and more mediocre teachers rather than pay living salaries to men and women who are just scraping by as it is.  Homeschooling isn't always an option, but it sure would help the budget if everyone did it, huh?  Gol-darn-it!
.
So who is a Catholic to listen to these days anyways?  Republican Tea-Partiers or their Bishops?  When did the United States and the Republican/Tea Party/ become Catholic?  When did it become a sin to support unions?  Archbishop Jerome Listecki of Milwaukee appears to support the rights of workers and unions...  "'The Church is well aware that difficult economic times call for hard choices and financial responsibility to further the common good,' the archbishop said. 'But hard times do not nullify the moral obligation each of us has to respect the legitimate rights of workers.'" - Zenit 
.
So what am I supposed to think?  That's a good question isn't it.  (That's not a question.)  Everyone seems to want to tell people what they should think... what they are supposed to to think and do and say and write.  Weird.
.
More importantly of course, the Obama's definitely were not invited to the wedding.  William and Kate didn't invite the Sarkozy's or Sarah Ferguson either.  You see, presidents and upstarts come and go, but monarchy reigns.
.
Once in 3rd grade the teacher, Mrs. Rotenberry, whose husband was a Lutheran minister, pulled my hair and shook my head trying to force me to say there was no Santa Claus - I never gave in.  No one tells me how to think.
.
That's all.
.
(Seriously, I don't really care about any of this.  So yell at me in the combox if you must.)
.
Source credits:
Drudge
Pewsitter
.
Photo: Late Night Talk Show.  What?

15 comments:

  1. You know, I could go on about the unions in Wisconsin, but I bet someone out there is going to come right into this combox and set you straight :)

    I've got nothing against unions per se, either, but I really hate the teachers' unions (but not the teachers). Let's remember that the lovely things about marriage and religion that are taught in public schools - we can be thankful to the teachers' unions, among others.

    Sarah Palin just bugs me. Muppets? C'mon, it's not easy being green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! How awful! You know Miss Piggy isn't a slut! She only has eyes for Kermit! HiYah! (sound of Miss Piggy karate chopping Terry).

    I think you listen to your local ordinary or my pastor. Why mine? His statements are all consistent with church teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:12 PM

    I still don't know what to think about Medjugorje.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous - I know people who would be happy to tell you what to think. LOL!

    Sorry Nan - I really meant to say Miss Piggy dresses like one - she is flirty however.

    Mercury - I don't have a strong opinion on the union thing either, but I saw a dad teacher on the news break down in tears because he may have to quit teaching to get a better job to support his family. I live next door to a teacher therefore I'm biased.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I woke up this morning to almost a foot and a half of the famous Utah white stuff...was late to 11:30 Mass because the roads weren't plowed....
    but the KofC had an AWESOME breakfast burrito breakfast...saved mine for luch :)

    And if the Federal Continuing Resolution/ federal budget bill doesn't get passed by March 4, I'll still get paid--I just don't have to go to work :) Right now I could use a vacation and get caught up on some little projects around the house--or go volunteer with the homeless horses...but I REALLY REALLY need to finish my taxes.. I really don't see the US Senate doing anything productive in four days.

    And there was ACTUALLY A commercial on local TV on Catholic schools!! Here in Utah!! What wonders never cease!!

    Off to go play in the snow and unbury my parking space..the snow fairies don't shovel that..still winter here..

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a city employee. So is my husband. The only thing the unions ever did for us was take our dues and keep among our ranks the lazy and incompetent.
    (Forgetting to send an ambulance for chest pains? Falling asleep at the fire console? Yawn. Seen it.)
    I am a supervisor now and when I write people up for constant abuse of sick time (if I told you how rampant it was, you wouldn't believe me. They call in sick from VEGAS, for cripes' sake. There are people who use THREE Sick-No-Pay days - meaning they've already used their ONE sick day they earn EACH MONTH - every single month. One chick had FORTY SEVEN sick-no-pay days one year.) or for forgetting to send an ambulance, they'll get, say, three days suspension. And the union will appeal and get it knocked down to ZERO days suspension, letter in the file if you're lucky.

    I have worked for one government or another since I was 17 and joined the military.
    And the ONLY dedicated, professional, competent government employees I ever saw were IN the military. After that, not so much.
    I'm not saying unions didn't serve a purpose in 1930 Pullman factories. But today?
    If someone told me, "Hey, you have to pay 12% of your health insurance and in return we'll guarantee no layoffs, I'd kiss them. I pay MUCH more than 12% right now, and I also get 30 unpaid furlough days a year.
    I would stomp my feet and get hysterical and carry signs around in the intersection, but, uh, I work for a living.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. The paid holidays city employees are entitled to include Pulaski Day, Lincoln's birthday AND President's Day, and many others. We also get two hours on each Election Day, national state or local, and are entitled to two hours on the first day of school to drop the kids off. We park in prime parking at O'Hare Airport for free and are certainly welcome to park there while we are on vacation, which, depending on how much you travel, can save you a few hundred bucks a year. We are entitled to park downtown in city-run (they all are) parking structures for a small fee - which is worth a ton if you consider it's $30 something bucks for a few hours. Makes it nice for Christmas shopping, not that we shop downtown as Chicago has the highest sales tax in the nation.
    Nice, huh?
    None of this is free. The Chicago taxpayer subsidizes these perks from the gigantic taxes they (we) pay.

    The poor, suffering city worker is, at least in Chicago, a complete myth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for taking down the "The Tea Party= Magisterium" mentality that exists on much of the Catholisphere. It's been driving me round the bend lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have any "inside" info but I can assure you that being on Facebook too much could not be a reason for dismissal.
    The truth is that she left on her own. She also said that there were many Indian sisters who had entered the monastery and there were a lot of conflicts.
    So, as usual, there is more to the story than is being told.
    She sounds a little wacky to me, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ug..even more snow coming down...digging out for morning Mass will not be fun...

    At least we'll have plenty of water to sell to CA and AZ..

    Wait...they're broke too..

    I can give horsey rides for the kiddies at the Farmer's Market this summer...Rusty is a Missouri Fox Trotter and his walk is as smooth as silk, plus the cute little head bob that his breed has..$1 a ride and you can take all the photos you want...that will raise a few bucks for the poor decrepid state budget..

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sister - thanks for the comment. I agree there had to be other issues.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just jealous that you got 11 comments (yeah, I'm including yours!), while mine only got 3 - one of them from a guy who thinks he knows everything...I hate that - people who think they know everything really irk those of us who do...

    ReplyDelete
  13. +JMJ+

    And if it walks like a pig and dresses like a pig, then it must be . . . ? ;-)

    I love the classic Muppet Show, but I don't watch them any longer. Not even Sesame Street!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wisconsin teachers just scraping by? Not according to what is being reported for their average salary.

    The Muppets need tax subsidies? I don't think so, the are rich! (Take a look at Piggy's diamonds.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. "...in other words, look for new work and let the citizens of Wisconsin settle for fewer and more mediocre teachers rather than pay living salaries to men and women who are just scraping by as it is..."

    In Arizona, many teachers are being caught molesting their students. Many aren't caught.

    I would rather have mediocre teachers than wiccans and perverts 'teaching' my grandchildren.

    Time to shake out the rug and clean house.

    I admire people that know it all.

    Some of them have come to the forefront and shown us how to fight intelligently with brute force.

    *

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.