See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains. - James 5:7

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Heterophobia



A tutorial.
.
This morning I opened an email from a good friend saying she was tired of heterophobic people - that was all - I knew I wasn't afraid of women, normal people, or heterosexuality - so what was she talking about?  I later found out she was referring to the DADT controversy and those advocates recasting the matter as a civil right - in other words, activists continuing in their battle to redefine morality.  Now that scares me.
.
I've used the heterophobe word before - I like to think I invented it, but I'm sure someone else thought of it before I did.  Most likely at the exact same time when he realized that he was afraid of sexual relations with a woman, afraid of the responsibility of providing for a wife and children, or not feeling adequate as a man, or facing serious feelings of inferiority amongst same-sex peers, and so on.  There are millions of reasons for SSA and I could never count them all here - that's not my point in this post anyway.  All that I am saying is that many men really and truly can trace their SSA issues to heterophopia.  Amongst them, perhaps even a few Catholic SSA men whose exaggerated fear of sexual relations with a woman may have been reinforced by a complex I call 'Virgin Martyr Syndrome'.  (Nothing Our Lady and the prayers of the rosary can't fix BTW.)
.
Homosexual disorientation.
.
Calm down - it is most likely not a big deal these days when devotion and religious fervor has gone cold, but I have heard a story or two about how some Catholic boys of days gone by were so afraid to sin against chastity and/or were so in awe of their dominatrix natural mother, as well as intimidated by the exalted preference given to virgin saints over married saints in religion class, the very idea of heterosexual sex was repellent to them.  Of course that is deeply disordered, indeed, a perverted orientation; although if true, it remains only one factor which contributes to make the greater disorder stick.  In other words it is quite simply, a disorientation, possibly peculiar to devout Catholic boys/men.  (Please note - it is just a theory.)  Good spiritual direction, prayer, the sacraments, and healthy friendships can reverse these problems - if the subject wants to do the work of course.
.
Contraception, sodomy, and usury.
.
But I digress.  I actually intended to post about something I came across on Western Confucian, who links to a piece Mark Shea published for the National Catholic Register on Dante's linking the sin of sodomy with the sin of usury.  (So many links to something written by someone else.)     Anyway, as usual, Mark Shea makes sense to me:
.
Dante’s thinking is this: He regards human activity as oriented toward fruitfulness that must spring from only two sources: Nature and Art. So, for Dante, a man is legitimately wealthy if he, say, grows a crop and sells it or makes a hat (or a poem) and sells them. Likewise, in the sexual realm, he is simply an ordinary orthodox Catholic who thinks that sex has the natural ends of union between husband and wife and the getting of children. That’s what it is for, just as eating is for the twin ends of nutrition and conviviality. So sexual acts, whether contraceptive or homosexual are “dead” acts that lead to no fruitfulness.

.
[F]or Dante, since fruitfulness can only proceed from Nature or Art (or, as we would say today, “raw natural resources and manufacture of goods and services”), it follows that mere chicanery by which dead gold or silver are made to “breed” by manipulation of interest rates by those who lend at interest is another form of perversion. So he links the sins of sodomy and usury. Both ignore Nature and both are forms of fruitfulness perverted to sterility and the attempt to “breed” something unnaturally. - NCR

.
I'll bet very few people realized there is such a sin of usury.  Just like many do not consider contraception a sin, nor how closely related it is to sodomy.  Of course, many people no longer consider sodomy a sin these days, either.
.
Well - I gotta run - it is Wednesday and I have a lot to do, and no time to start controversies!  Have a wonderful day.
.
Editor's note:  Warning - there are some women who are just naturally scary, so guys, don't think there is anything wrong with you if you try to avoid them.  Many women can tell you they are scared of these types as well - they are often found working in offices and know absolutely everything there is to know about anything.

11 comments:

  1. Ok. Noticed your over the top gay dude into Monarchy has stopped following you as well. Didn't know how to boot him and didn't feel like figuring it out. It's very boring and must be so boring to be so involved with oneself that one can't see the forest for the twees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Terry! Check out my "mothering boys" one..hope I'm doing it right!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Catholic boys of days gone by were so afraid to sin against chastity and were so in awe of their dominatrix natural mother, as well as the exalted preference given to virgin saints over married saints, the very idea of heterosexual sex was repellent to them."

    This sounds like some SSPX clergy I've read about. Just because people did it in the past doesn't mean it's a good idea! In fact there was a dude on Catholic Answers forum promoting just that. That's why I no longer look at forums, and try to avoid the comment sections of several popular blogs.

    This blog isn't popular enough to attract too many real fanatics, that's why I like it here :) I bet if you did a post on altar girls or women in pants you wouldn't even get mentioned on Fisheaters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terry,
    I like your theory and have had similar thoughts over the years.

    But how do you explain Protestant heterophobes? I ask this seriously and jokingly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My apologies - I accidently deleted some comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. breeders < eyeroll > lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belinda

    Does this help? http://www.newadvent.org/summa/3078.htm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Feminist Shaming Tactics

    *I deleted my post because perhaps it was kinda gossipy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Terry,
    Here's one of the comments you accidentally deleted:

    "Tancred - I think I know who you are referring to - well, I do know. Yep - he has been here many times before.

    Charlotte - this is just one category - protestant ones had Miss America fixations. I'm serious and joking too.

    Merc - I couldn't handle it if this blog got popular.

    Jackie - just do your best and disown them if they turn out bad - just kidding!!!!! Just remember, we can't pick the crosses for our kids. Trust God that the boys will be fine."

    Unless you meant to delete them. If so, delete this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I understand why people are into Monarchy or Catholicism for the same reason people are into high fashion, that was certainly the recently disgraced David Berger's problem. When he was talking about homosexual traditionalists being enthused by the lace and the pomp, he was talking about himself and no one else.

    Of course, there are a few David Bergers out there, posers who love tradition for purely aesthetic reasons. Is it unreasonable to hope that their love of beauty could become a bridge to sanctity?

    Sure hope so, especially in the Christmas Season. Part of appreciating beauty is living a beautiful and sinless life.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.