Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Poetry Wednesday... just for the holidays...


An older friend was telling me how sad the holidays are for some people.  "I know," I answered sympathetically, asking, "Are they hard for you too?"
.
"No, not really, but I'm writing out my Christmas cards and I realize this person is dead, this one has alzheimer's, that one is in a nursing home, that couple is divorced... so many people have it rough these days.  Some people have lost their job and their home.  There is a lot of sadness out there."  Clearly my friend was deeply moved emotionally.
.
What do you say?  What could I say?  So I said, "I know, I know!"
.
I really do know too.  What we have to remember however, is that people who find the holidays difficult or sad, more often than not find life difficult and sad.  Christmas just "is" - whatever the situation - it will be just as bad before the holiday as it is after.  If you are having a sad Christmas - that's Christmas for you.  You just go through it like you go through today or the day after - it is what it is.
.
Now for the poetry...
.
I'll have a blue Christmas without you
I'll be blue thinking about you


Decorations of red on a green Christmas tree
Won't be the same if you're not here with me


And when those blue snowflakes start falling
That's when those blue memories start calling


You'll be doin' all right,
With your Christmas of white,

But I'll have a blue, blue Christmas. - words & music by billy hayes - jay johnson
.
I know!
.
(I'm so happy Advent colors went back to purple now - at least we won't have to sing this song after communion anymore.)

2 comments:

  1. I bet you do a great Elvis impersonation when you sing that song.

    "I--I--I'll---ll a-ha--a-a-ve a Baluuuuuuuuuuuuuue Christmas, without youuuuuu."

    Thankyou, thankyouverymuch

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I do. And when I used to dress up like him I thought I looked exactly like him too, but most people thought I was impersonating Rosie O'Donnel, so I quit the act. Nursing Home residents are a tough crowd.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.