See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains. - James 5:7

Sunday, November 01, 2009

All Hallows Day


Dead people, saints, and holy souls...
.
I chose to use my painting Gioia's Dream for this post, which will be one last ghost story for the weekend.  It's just a short one...  Boo!
.
Gioia's Dream
.
Once upon a time, shortly after my brother died, his daughter had a dream of him... She was in a an immense hallway standing before a door she felt compelled to open, although fearful of what might lie behind it, the little 15 year old tried to open it.  The door knob was hot but somehow she managed to turn it just enough so that it exploded open, revealing a raging furnace of fiery chaos.  Amidst the conflagration she could hear gasps and cries...  Suddenly she could see, making his way through the flames, her dad, arms outstretched as if pleading, grasping for help, his face contorted in pain.  The End. 
.
So anyway - today is All Saints, All Hallows day.  A holy day of obligation landing on a Sunday - how fortuitous.  Today, as every Catholic knows, the Church honors all saints, not just the canonized, but everyone who made it through that door (purgatory) my brother was trying to get through, and into heaven.  Of course some perfect people go to heaven immediately after death without stopping in purgatory - just as others go straight to hell - but mystics and theologians think the majority of the saved spend some time in purgatory.  Unless the person just passed - never say die to new age/ordo people.
.
Why?  Because at many a Catholic funeral (and all protestant and non-denominational ones), the person who passed goes straight to heaven - no one goes to hell or purgatory or limbo - but straight to heaven - where they do whatever they did do on earth with great perfection and unending bliss:  drinkin' high-balls with the angels... in rock 'n roll heaven... lookin' down on all those they left behind, sayin' - "I love you all dearly, now don't shed a tear, I'm spending Christmas with Jesus this year!" - Stuff like that.  Don't cry for me Argentina!
.
Well - happy All Saints day - just do not forget to pray for the dead - even if you get a poem saying, "Merry Christmas from Heaven" - throw it out.

3 comments:

  1. What an awful dream to have! Shortly after my dad died, I dreamed that he was walking ahead of me, along the shore of a body of water. It was all gray. I called to him and he just kept walking. That was horrid.

    Of course, I also dreamed about him sitting at the kitchen table in my parents house, reading the paper and drinking coffee, wearing his new wing shaped glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great consolation, this belief in the Communion of Saints.
    I love All Saints; but love even MORE All Souls Day...not only the real communion we have with them in the Holy Spirit but also that we can help them with the Mass, prayers and our other good works.
    The older I get the more I believe that purgatory is God's Mercy; we cannot just go from being the way most of us are into heaven. There's a lot of purification that has to be accomplished. It is, in my estimation, a great loss that so many do not believe their loved ones may need their prayers and help after they die in order to be prepared for the great nuptial feast in heaven. We need a return to the devotion to the Holy Souls.
    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get what you are saying, that we shouldn't canonize loved ones who have died. And I agree. However, we also shouldn't be afraid to trust them to God's mercy. Of course we should pray for them. But I hope people don't imagine God as some kind of torturer; I believe it is as Nazareth Priest says "...that purgatory is God's Mercy; we cannot just go from being the way most of us are into heaven."

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.