See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains. - James 5:7

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Christopher West and his muses...


"Recently, while preparing for a long drive, I decided to look through my old collection of tape series for something to listen to (yes, I still have a cassette deck in my car). My eyes landed on a box set called "Passion for God" by a Carmelite Abbess named Mother Tessa Bielecki. When I arrived at my destination before the tapes were over, I didn't want to get out of the car.
.
"Passion for God" is an introduction to the spousal mysticism of St. Teresa of Avila. Here's how the back cover of the series describes it: "Inside the great medieval monastery at Avila, Spain, one of history's great love affairs took place. For it was here, within these turreted stone walls, that the Christian mystic St. Teresa surrendered her 'ensouled body' to God. What emerged from this divine union informs our spiritual lives to this day through the ecstatic 'spousal prayer' form that St. Teresa embraced so fiercely. ... Mother Tessa takes listeners far from the hard pews of dutiful worship and into a lush marriage chamber, where God is mystically experienced as spouse." - Source
.
That is New Age bunk. 
.
Anyway, read Steve Kellmeyer's response to this crap here:  Sects, Lies, and the Wild, Wild West
.
H/T PewsitterNews

9 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff. It's been my impression that TOB as expounded by Pope JP II is very deep, which makes me think that West's explanation/interpretation was rushed and printed too quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tangled web.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if he's like this at home.

    "Say Chris, would you take the trash out?"

    "Ah, the combination of trash and food waste images the divine. I would like to contemplate it a meditate on the nature of desireeeeeeeee for a few days."

    "Oh for Pete's sake, if you don't want to take the trash out why don't you say so?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dymphna: ROFL!
    I've met several individuals that fit this description.
    My advice: Just get on with living in the present moment and get your head out (of the clouds...fill in the blank!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read the link...oh dear.
    I knew there were problems here, but not that bad.
    Syncretism is a bad idea for many reasons, but if "Christianity if fascism" as M. Tessa is quoted as saying, this gal has got mega spiritual problems. May Saint Teresa of Avila intercede for her and all those involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Cow! This is serious stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just recently started reading Carmelite works, but the comments about St. Teresa sound so temporal and even base compared to the little I've read of her writings. I wonder what Tessa would say about Mary Magdalene's relationship with Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Swissie, I heard she writes under a pseudonym....it's D. Brown.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela - it sure ain't Sister Patricia!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.