Sunday, September 20, 2009

Congratulations Christopher West!


Cardinal Rigali approves.
.
Cardinal Justin Rigali, as Chairman of the Episcopal Advisory Board for the Theology of the Body Institute and as local ordinary of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia where the Institute is located, and Bishop Kevin Rhoades, Christopher West's local ordinary in the Diocese of Harrisburg, have stated that they are pleased to express strong support for the important work of the Theology of the Body Institute and, in particular, that of Christopher West. - Source
.
Excuse me while I whip this out.
.
I really cannot print what I think of this. However, it must be remembered that many bishops and cardinals also hoped that discipline might change concerning the regulation of birth before Humane Vitae was issued. While afterwards, several continued to object - and reject. This isn't the same thing of course, but it certainly helps one appreciate the effectiveness of such a general imprimatur.
.
Wait, watch, and see what happens... It will make headlines.
.
That's all.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:15 AM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:47 AM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:59 AM

    So you disapprove of West?

    Am I reading you right?

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick - not entirely - but I have posted on a few of my objections before so I won't go into it now. The very best Catholic perspective/critique of TOB and West's method and style can be found on Fr. Angelo's blog, which is listed in my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SF - I wish you would have left your comments - very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patrick - Fr. Angelo's blog can be found here: http://maryvictrix.wordpress.com/

    Check his archives for this discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I taught the "Theology of the Body" at a very good seminary two years ago.
    I did not use C. West's texts.
    I chose instead, to go into the actual background and foundation of JP II's actual talks...the philosophy (M. Scheler), the spirituality (St. John of the Cross) and the actual talks (M. Waldstein). The seminarians were not pleased; too bad..."too much reading"...crybabies. We did not do the "popular version" but went to the source texts.
    I cannot endorse C. West's interpretation, especially in his vulgar and (my opinion) impure teaching. He may have a Cardinal backing him, but not me. Sorry. I felt vindicated when I read Alice von Hildebrand's critique. Now there's a lady I respect; and her late husband, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praise God! Thank you Father and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.