Friday, August 21, 2009

Monastic vigils and grand silence.

Enclosure.

Years ago, as a novice in a contemplative monastery I got up between 2:30 AM and 3 AM and made my way to my place in choir as soon as possible - the Office of Vigils began at 3:30 AM. After the Office, I had coffee and returned to my cell for Lectio. I loved vigils and still relish early morning prayer. It is such a wonderful time for Lectio, adoration and silent prayer. Wrapped in the silence of the night, one snuggles close to God in a secret, intimate embrace. Nothing is like it, except perhaps the thanksgiving after Holy Communion. Prayer is the life of the monk or nun.
.
Which is why I wonder about some of the time stamps on a few of the posts and comments I notice on blogs by religious. (People outside the U.S. excepted.) I cannot help but notice that some people may actually post during the grand silence - the time normally set aside for vigils. Unless of course they post-date their entries for publication at a later time - I do that frequently - I will write a post before bedtime and time it to publish shortly after midnight. (Like this one.)
.
Yeah, I bet that's what they do.

2 comments:

  1. Woopsy! You're on to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful reflection. Thank you for sharing.

    On a totally unrelated note: Yes, put on those Liberace records and no this is not as good as it gets...!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will no longer be accepted.
Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. Be sure and double check if your comment posted after you do the verification deal - sometimes it doesn't print if you made an error.