Saturday, June 27, 2009

Nada, nada, nada...

Pestiferous evil.
.
I love reading St. John of the Cross, and although his works are geared toward genuinely spiritual persons striving for perfection in the contemplative life, as well as those who direct them, the Saint's writing is so clear and his doctrine so fundamental, it can be adaptable for the average person, especially his cautions and discussions regarding the moral life and the demands of the Gospel. At least in my experience I find his ascetical writings helpful in grounding my spirit whenever it falls into distraction, confusion, presumption and/or dissension. How easily I forget that the judgements I level against others fall back on me, while I ignore the log in my own eye.
.
For instance, in the section I will here cite from The Ascent, St. John is addressing the harm caused by the supernatural apprehensions of the memory - in other words the Saint is speaking to souls who experience and become attached to visions or supernatural imaginative knowledge contained in such revelations. Undoubtedly (and most gratefully) I do not experience such things, nor do I desire them, but the section remains meaningful for me as it concerns attachment to self-opinion and pride stemming from natural knowledge and intelligence.
.
"These supernatural apprehensions of the memory, if esteemed, are also for spiritual persons a decided occasion for slipping into some presumption or vanity. Since anyone not receiving these is liberated from falling into this vice, because nothing within warrants this presumption, so, on the other hand, anyone receiving them will be exposed to the idea that he is now worth something on account of these supernatural communications. (Or, for my purposes, natural knowledge and education.) "Though indeed a person in considering himself unworthy, and attributes them to God and is thankful for them, yet there usually remains in the spirit a certain satisfaction and esteem for the communication and for oneself. Consequently, without one's realizing it, an abundant spiritual pride will be bred."
.
This is quite evident from the displeasure and aversion these individuals feel toward anyone who does not laud their spirit nor value their communications (knowledge and opinion), and from the affliction they experience upon thinking or being told that others receive the same favors or even better ones (or are smarter and more knowledgeable). All of this is born of a hidden self-esteem and pride. And these persons are not aware that they are steeped in pride.
.
I love this...
.
"To avoid this pestiferous evil, abhorrent in the eyes of God, they should consider that virtue does not consist in apprehensions and feelings of God, however sublime they may be, nor in any similar experiences (natural knowledge and intelligence). But on the contrary, it comprises what they do not experience, that is deep humility, contempt for themselves and all things - very explicit and conscious to the soul - delight that others feel contempt for them also, and the desire to be worth nothing in the hearts of others." - Ascent III, 9
.
My interpretation is all highly personal of course, and as I said the intent of St. John's teaching is entirely spiritual, directed towards real contemplatives, nevertheless, it seems to me this lesson can shed light upon my defects associated with pride and self-opinion as regards natural knowledge acquired through education and experience. At any rate, it demonstrates for me that humility is the firm foundation for every aspect of the spiritual life in general, no matter what one's state in life.
.
I'm keeping comments closed for awhile since I am much too attached to 'checking my mail' and taking the time to respond. Not to mention that comments can induce flattery and vain praise which can be deceptive and contribute to - you got it - self-opinion and pride.
.
That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.