Monday, May 11, 2009

Lies, liars, and lying.

Falsehood they speak - one to another.
.
I watched The Apprentice last night while I had supper. I don't like Donald Trump or Joan Rivers, but I have to admit it was interesting to watch a human being with a plastic face speak and attempt to show emotion when the only thing that moves is her tongue and eyeballs - not Donald - Joan. Although Trump's hair is kind of fascinating to watch - it doesn't move either.
.
Anyway - the show is superficial, vain and stupid, just like Joan's character (yes, she plays herself) who happened to be lying through the whole thing - while viciously bashing her competitors, calling them liars. You had to see it, and yes - she was on camera lying about an incident that sabotaged the competition. Yet Joan won the apprenticeship - in fact the entire audience seemed to be on her side - despite the fact they witnessed the way in which Rivers - along with her mutant princess daughter - screwed everything up, only to kick and scream and lie their way out of it.
.
The show was like a car wreck attracting gawkers - which is why I watched it through to the end - convinced Joan Rivers should have been fired. You can imagine my surprise when she wasn't. I think the show is actually a metaphor for the state of our country. We embrace and support lies, lying, and liars. Look at the politicians we elect, the celebrities we admire, our screwed up morality, and so on.
.
Such things trouble me. Before going to bed I received a couple of emails demonstrating my point. Both emails contained news stories involving progressive Catholics, each protesting aspects of Church teaching associated with the popular deceptions of our time. This morning while at prayer, I reached for my copy of The Imitation, and it fell open to the following:
.
"From such tales and such incautious people defend me, O Lord, that I may not fall into their hands or even commit the like. Give to my mouth truth and constancy in my words, and remove far from me a crafty tongue." - Imitation, Bk III, 45:4
.
I continued reading the entire chapter, finding consolation and encouragement: "Whom shall we believe, O Lord but you? You are the truth who cannot deceive or be deceived.
.
On the other hand, every man is a liar (Ps. CXV, II) infirm, unstable, and subject to fail, especially in words; so that we ought not readily to believe even that which in appearance seems to sound well." - Imitation, Bk III, 45:3
.
Photo: Joan Rivers' doll-face. The facade.

6 comments:

  1. Now maybe you get why I'm so concerned about your ever changing appearance, sweetie!

    :-)

    Absolutely, the only truth is The Truth. Period. Accept no substitutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I regret I was so harsh about Joan. I really do, she works hard.
    .
    BTW - I just read where an aide to Gordon Brown left the PM's make-up tips in a taxi and now the tabloids have it. No wonder he looks so darn good - you saw my photo of him, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol3:46 PM

    Sometimes when I read an uber-monastic/mystic, I can't help but shudder at the far worse than plasticelebs and liars whom the most courageous Mother Teresa and Father Damian and St. Francis encountered and only sometimes converted via spending their Given talents in, even tho' not of, the world (like their Jesus before them, who lived in the world, as did His Apostles, administering to the soul-ugly sick as well as to the holy sick). And sometimes, I have to remind myself that most of us will be safely Enclosed only once we're on the other Side. 'Til then or 'til His return, for the sake of Love, we must be as ill-consumed as is our Eucharistic Lord at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. +JMJ+

    Joan may be pushy, tactless and offensive, but she also has charisma in spades. I was rooting for her, too!

    Yet I'm truly surprised that Annie didn't win. =S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Joan ... poor hollywood ... I truly think the "plastic surgeon" field needs to be investigated. There is a huge aspect of it that is morally corrupt. The angle of this picture reminds me of a Twilight Zone or Outer Limit story about a wealthy father whose greedy children couldn't wait to get their hands on his estate & money. Can't remember the story, but they all ended up with a face that resembles hers at this angle ... for awhile Halloween stories sold the mask ... I know because I bought one for a party ...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I7vPbthvWo

    ReplyDelete
  6. The irony is that Reality TV does actually get it right - there is a lot of lying, pride and falsehood in the real world.

    Seeing sinful behavior on TV gives cover for those engaging in the same sin.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will no longer be accepted.
Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. Be sure and double check if your comment posted after you do the verification deal - sometimes it doesn't print if you made an error.