Tuesday, May 26, 2009

I love people who do this...

Examine their use of the Internet.
.
Michael Spencer (Internet Monk) has a wonderful reflection pondering the effects of the Internet upon those who are caught in its web... Well kind of.
.
"It strikes me that the predominant sins in this medium are narcissism and waste. We need to differentiate narcissism from various kinds of legitimate self-revelation, but we need to proclaim that narcissism is a sin many of us are absolutely exulting in.
.
And waste is waste. Time. Affections. Work. Mental energy. Significance."

.
Yup.
.
"Theology students: Have you worked out how a student behaves as compared to a teacher? Do you have a personal commitment to living out the difference between an amateur and a professional? The internet has allowed every theology student in the world- the bright ones, the not so bright ones, the ones with amazing things to say, the ones with nothing to say- to all have a web page with a Latin title infested with posts about the importance of expository preaching, the problem with N.T. Wright and the good news that some of their professors agree with them.
.
It’s too much, boys. Too much."

.
Yup.
.
"It’s too much. It’s not community. It’s not socializing. It’s too much. There are things I need to do. Books to read and write. People next door and in hospitals and shut in to talk to. Letters to write. Thoughts to think. Dreams to dream. Music to listen to. (And I can do all of this without taking another two hours of my day to tell you all about it.)
.
Yes, I bear some guilt, so stop wagging your finger. I’m just thinking here."

.
Yup. Me too.
.
I know, the Holy Father just encouraged young people to evangelize via the Web. Think about it first.

6 comments:

  1. I think about this issue often and have been working on some compromises.

    I almost never update my Facebook, and am considering a more limited blog presence. Twitter was never on my radar.

    It one of the reasons I quit blogging so much on Catholic things. For one thing I got sick and tired of the continual and relentless Church bashing, which I think is borne out of a sense of helplessness felt by the laity.

    In that one sense it is nice to know that you are not "alone". And I do think some real friends are developed through blogs. If I were to come to MN, I know I could visit you, Cathy, Adoro, Ray, et al, and we would have a great time.

    But you and Monk are correct that it can be a HUGE time sink....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good points brought up there. It's so hard to limit your internet time when it makes up such a huge part of our lives. I have stopped using the internet from work - I only browse and blog when I am at home or on my days off.

    The internet certainly does cut in to family time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adrienne - I feel the same about you and the others too.

    Paragirl - I pray every day for detachment and I try to limit my time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have real affection for my blogger buddies. I love/hate blogging, and the computer, but the people can be really wonderful , and supportive. (or shockingly sinful on sites other than Catholic sites) Technology is just too much. Even though my affection ,and prayers are real the computer life is fake. An electrified life is a fake life. TV , radio , and refrigeration too- all fake.(I don't have to kill or grow any of our food , we buy it cold or frozen) We aren't praire folk anymore when the family would spend the majority of their lives with your family just trying to survive... and bonding with your loved ones and since the begining of time too. Only stopping for an occassional war.

    I still think that God's gonna cut our (electric) cord.
    Dont you think that electricity is strange....Darkness for centuries until now. I am such a dork. I find these inventions still amazing, and frightening in their power, and scope.
    ...............................
    I would visit you Terry , Adrienne, and Cathy in a heartbeat... if you lived near by. And Leo, and Vincenzo too, but in reality with my poor social skills could anyone really stand to visit me. Please don't answer that. ........I am often troubled about something or other, and am difficult to get along with, but I am trying.
    .........................

    Ultimately I use the computer to learn more about Catholicism, and it's people. I want to be a better Catholic, and person in general. I want to learn more about God, and the computer helps me to do that....withc the new tree of knowledge, but if I want self esteam or a feeling of self worth then I go feed the poor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol1:04 AM

    The first hint that I wasn't exactly in Kansas anymore came years ago while in a Catholic chat room. "Maria" kept interrupting all the horseplay and food-talk, politics and trolls, to put up a short prayer. Every few minutes she mentioned God. Another chat-er shouted, "For God's sake, Maria, stop with the prayers!" It was almost funny.

    Blogging is different and perhaps a little better; at least folks think and try to give something of substance/sustenance, but it does often devolve into the me-thing, or worse -- a misleading of others.

    At any rate, regarding your last sentence, Terry, I was pointed to a unique site today: Pope2You(dot)net. As much as these things can, it does seem promising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy exploring various interests on the Internet, but the Internet really is sort of like a back fence. Only now, instead of having to wait for the Last Judgement to before all the stupid, boring, vain, mean-spirited and trivial things we are gossiping about are revealed to the entire sentient creation, we have instant audiences for our drivel. An enemy strategy that succeeds on many fronts: Feed their vanity, distract them from their purpose, and bury beauty under tons of crap.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.