Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Speaking of kilts...

What does a man wear under one?
.
I think it is a myth that men wear nothing under their kilts. Researching ancient underwear for my St. Sebastian painting, I know ancient people wore underclothes; so I'm sure Scotsmen did too. Contrary to contemporary fantasy.
.
But what about cassocks - what do men wear under their cassocks? In the United States, pants of course. Researching this post I came across one from Fr. Longenecker on the subject, and a female commenter wrote, "I have never wondered what a priest wears under his cassock." Good for her - that is because it is a guy thing. Guys wonder what another guy wears under a tunic, kilt, dress, skirt, cassock - what have you. First reason being, they can't imagine wearing stuff like that, and because they wouldn't want to be all exposed if something happened. Well maybe most guys wouldn't give it a thought - but if you ever had to wear something like that, then maybe you would. Obviously Father did.
.
Although I always thought wearing trousers beneath a cassock or a habit must get to be rather warm in the summer, not to mention it seems like over-dressing. I know a motorcycle priest who wears jeans under his cassock - that makes sense. In the monastery, we just wore our underwear beneath the habit - no pants - in winter, we wore long underwear. We changed into work clothes (jeans) when we had to be outside for manual labor, although the monks remaining inside usually stayed in their habits. A Carmelite I knew thought it was distasteful not to wear pants under the habit/cassock - he told me in Italy the friars wore nothing. I don't know how he knew that.
.
Many years ago the monks (Trappists) usually wore long undergarments, like pants and leggings, as well as underwear, and they slept in all of these clothes, including their habits. During the day, as they busied themselves in manual labor, they hitched up their tunics to their belt or a loop on the tunic, maintaining modesty since they were still all covered up, free to perform the task at hand. I suppose some groups of monks may yet wear leggings or pants beneath the habit, but I don't know for sure.
.
Anyway - it's kind of an interesting topic for a blog post, don't you think?

16 comments:

  1. Terry, stop. You7're killing my fantasy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Well I think today some men go along with the legend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to say it but whenever I watch Fr. Groeschel on TV I see the grey habit and long black socks and ...? I wonder if he wear shorts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some religious wear longer gymn shorts or sweats. Fr. Benedict most likely wears something warm, considering his age. But his order, so devoted to the habit, has the custom of wearing the habit as their only garment - with appropriate underclothes of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm no Scotsman by any stretch of the imagination, and I haven't a clue as to what men may wear under a kilt, but I'm pretty sure that they usually wear shirts with them, excepting, of course, if they're on the cover of a Harlequin PBR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Terry. It comforts me to know Fr. BG probably has shorts on! Speaking of which - it's been nearly 2 months since I met him and I don't think I ever properly posted on my trip to the conference. Maybe I should do that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pants under a cassock really doesn't make much difference in the summer. Trust me, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fr. - I also think it's a better way to go.

    Once, in the Catholic goods store I worked in, a very tall young priest came in to buy a new cassock, he was working with the salesman when I walked by the shop - there Fr. was standing in gym shorts and a t-shirt and sandals, having removed the cassock he had been wearing, waiting to try on a new one. It was such an unexpected sight, and very funny, as he looked to be standing in his underwear. He's a wonderful priest, very humble and unselfconscious, so he thought nothing of it.

    Anyway - I probably shouldn't have written this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is certainly not a myth that Scotsmen don't wear underwear, for proof see http://www.your-kilt.com/under-the-kilt.html

    Kind Regards,

    David.

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://thecrescat.blogspot.com/2009/04/speaking-of-habits.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my, my, my, that picture, oh my! Who cares what they wear underneath--is it getting hot in here! Guys are HOT in kilts!

    (Father Erik, I may be needing Confession soon--LOL.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd say it's an interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. FWIW - we're all naked under our clothes. There. I've said it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always wear appropriate under garments under a kilt, but I live in a warm and windy area where accidental exposure and chafing would be issues otherwise. Many of the people I know that wear kilts only go *ahem* natural once before reality sets in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been wearing utilikilts for the past 3 years. I say it is only a skirt IF you are wearing underwear like a lady. Otherwise it is a kilt get used to it. enjoy the freedom.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will no longer be accepted.
Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. Be sure and double check if your comment posted after you do the verification deal - sometimes it doesn't print if you made an error.