Sunday, March 08, 2009

Reflections

I decided.
.
I love song titles for my posts. (BTW, Beyonce's sister was not nominated for a Grammy this year.) Anaways - a math teacher in Jr. High pronounced it that way - he also said things like, "It may and it mayn't." He had to be like 90 at the time - but he was really quite funny - I got his humor, and so he liked to make me laugh.. He once bought an island off Florida in a real-estate scam - he had no idea he was being scammed of course, it turned out to be little more than a sand dune.
.
My thoughts are all over the place this morning - I was up until 2AM, watching The Painted Veil. I liked the film very much. It was sad. There was a chink however. A line about a monastery of French nuns who ran an orphanage. The main character, Walter told his wife that the nuns were not quite as virtuous as she imagined. He told her they went into the village and paid mothers for their children, to bring them to their orphanage and make little Catholics of them.
.
That line wrecked an otherwise very good film for me. That line will stick in many viewers head when accusations against the Church arise - as they do with increased frequency these days. It is an absolutely ridiculous accusation. One must understand that even in those days, the pagans in China did not esteem girl babies. They wanted, needed, males to support them in their old age. I'm not a historian but I do remember the nuns in school telling us this. Baby girls would sometimes be abandoned or killed. The nuns would have been rescuing the infants. Little things like that...
.
Pius XII
.
Hitler's Pope, The Deputy... Everyone knows (or should know) about the character assasination plot which has developed throughout revisionist history since the late 1950's. The lie is that Pope Pius XII did nothing to help the Jews in WWII. Some people even believe it. Not true of course. In fact, these lies are as heinous as the lies Bishop Williamson of the SSPX embraced - the No Holocaust conspiracy. Now that is a conspiracy! Lies repeated often enough, along with one or two erroneous little twists of the facts, manipulate and deceive entire groups of people, many of whom should otherwise know better. The purpose of the attacks against the pope is to discredit the Church of course. No Church = no rules, no Commandments, no sin, and all of that. Imagine.
.
Say what they want, more and more evidence is being assembled to prove otherwise; that Pius XII was indeed the Angelic Shepherd of the People of God, including our elder brothers in the Faith, the Jews. Fr. Gumpel, the postulator for the cause of the Holy Father's canonization found more evidence last week:
.
Father Peter Gumpel, the promoter of Pope Pius XII’s cause of beatification, revealed this week that he has uncovered new proof of the Pope’s efforts to protect Jews from the Nazis. The evidence consists of a note from the archives of a Roman monastery that includes a direct order from the Holy Father to give shelter to persecuted Jews.
.
Father Gumpel said the note from the archives of the Augustinian Nuns of the Roman Monastery reads: “The Holy Father wishes to save his children, the Jews as well, and orders that the Monasteries provide hospitality to these persecuted people.”
.
Father Gumpel said there are many who claim they would believe “in the work of Pius XII in support of the Jews if only we had a written document.’ Well, two written documents exist: one was sent to Bishop Nicolini of Assisi, who showed it to his collaborator, Father Brugnazzi; both were recognized afterwards by the Yad Vashem as ‘righteous among the nations’.”
.
“Here in Rome,” he said, “we now have this document from the archives of the Augustinian Cloistered Nuns” as “a subsequent confirmation that could be useful against those who persistently denigrate Pius XII and attack the Catholic Church.” - Source
.
Let's hope and pray that Pope Pius XII will soon be beatified.
.
I decided what?
.
I decided that when I post about Catholic stuff I will make a generous effort to only post things that "build up the body of Christ". My confessor suggested it.
.
Of course this means I'm just going to have to sell the farm - or is that buy/bought the farm? Gosh! There was so much material there. Oh how we laughed together, shook our heads in that "oh you kid" kind of fashion. But now, no more fun "where's Father" (as in Waldo) mysteries. No more guessing, who is coming to dinner. The fashion and cooking specials must come to an end now. As well as the birding, the star gazing... it's all over. It's quite sad really. Yet I never meant any harm - I simply have a warped sense of humor, with a fine appreciation for the eccentric.
.
I suppose I'll have to be nice to Belinda now too. Who said life is fair?

6 comments:

  1. No more Father stuff? I'm crushed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:07 PM

    I just watched The Painted Veil a coule of weeks ago; 1930's film, staring Garbo. I'm guessing you watched a new version of this story?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael - I had no idea it was a remake. But yes it is just a couple of years old, and stars Naomi Watts and Edward Norton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that it will still be exciting around here. With tension, drama, and humor in just the right places. Fun is clearly optional.

    http://www.variety.com/graphics/photos/variety100/ball_lucille.jpg

    Terry's song of truce, ah the fruit of confession.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLxTpsIVzzo

    I'm feeling warm , and fuzzy too , maybe that's because I am not wearing my glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel cheated. :-)

    Seriously, I think we are all cheated when we buy the BS of all the liars around.

    Pius XII should be canonized.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.