See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains. - James 5:7

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Funny story...



More Gen X, Y, and Z stuff.
.
Everyone knows I get a kick out of younger people who think they have the market cornered on wisdom and understanding, faith and morals, ethics and justice, and just about everything else in life. In many cases, the more academic degrees they accumulate, the more they are convinced the world owes them a living... And it is not that I have anything against highly educated people who go into hair-dressing, I just happen to believe education is wasted upon a few of them. But I digress.
.
The sitcom as real life.
.
Last October I was invited to a "friend's" daughter's wedding but declined the invitation. The young UST graduate had only met her young man a couple of months beforehand - not that it matters - I love romance myself. They married and separated by February of this year. He has a drug problem, that she was convinced she could cure, which is why they married, but it looks as if she failed, so she moved back home with mom. Yes, it's a sad story in a Brittney Spears sort of way, but stuff happens.
.
A couple of weeks ago, the young woman was spotted in a major department store parking lot handing out her wedding gifts to total strangers. (BTW, she never sent out thank you cards for those gifts either - a courtesy she claims "is no longer necessary" - "It's the 21st century!" LOL) As she distributed the merchandise, Bride-interrupted explained that she was protesting the store's policy of not accepting returns after 90 days. So, after causing a scene in the store - she looked for sympathy in the parking lot, dispensing the gifts to passers by.
.
Entitlement.
.
Now obviously she wanted the money, but because she didn't get what she wanted - she gave the stuff away - despite the fact she could have sold it all on EBay or Craig's-list or something. But it is easy come - easy go for her generation. Everything has been given to her all of her life - and apparently she believes someone will always be there to take care of her. She, like many others her age, seem to have no qualms about asking people for support or money for whatever personal need that arises. And more often than not, they accept these "financial gifts" without the slightest expression of gratitude or even an offer to pay back the donors. "They gave it to me, I don't have to pay them back."
.
Every one is a star today.





8 comments:

  1. It pisses me off when people don't write *thank you* cards. I'm entitled to one if I give a gift, right? LOL.

    Seriously, though ... that's a pet peeve of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Everyone is a star today."

    I thought when you said "star" you were going to mention Star Jones. She's closer to your age (mine actually) and her behavior about her wedding was so over the top it was like nails on a chalk board. Now she's getting a divorce. At least she had the good sense to get an air-tight pre-nup...right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica! Star Jones is getting a divorce? Why am I the last to know these things? I could list for you the reason her marriage had to be a big deal, but now that her gay husband is leaving, why bother.

    And Jeron - thank you notes are not the point. Now have your cake and eat it too.

    (I make myself laugh!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thirty years ago my parents thought my generation were a bunch of useless, spoiled slackers. Sometimes I am actually glad my parents are dead so they don't see what Western society has become.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I'm with Doughboy re: thank you notes. If someone took the time to think about what to get you, drove to the store, stood in line, paid for it with their hard earned cash, drove home, wrapped it and then made the effort to mail or give it to you then the LEAST you can do is spend 10 minutes putting ink to paper -and NO! - email thank yous are NOT good enough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. UGH!

    WHAT KIND OF PEOPLE DON'T SEND THANK YOU CARDS??!!!

    ARRRRRRRRRGH!

    (Touched a nerve, Ter.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can hear my mom (God rest her soul) agree with you, Terry. She used to always say, "I pity the young people of today! They won't know how to survive when times get tough!" (They were married during the Great Depression, so she knew how to be frugal and appreciative.)

    ~Georgette
    ("Mimi" is my daughter...changing the name on blogger is complicated!)

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.