Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The obscenity of political campaigns...



The 4th of July.
It is all about money, isn't it? Obama raking in $32 million - the others following suit, taking in millions. (Obviously $32 million isn't worth much anymore.) Everyone campaigning a year or two before the conventions. How do they get their work done at their regular jobs? What do constituents think when their elected officials are out campaigning and not doing the jobs they were elected to do? And for that matter - why is Nancy Peolosi running all over the world? She's not the President.
It is Independence Day in the United States. The country is at war, our soldiers are dying, then there is that abortion thing, and the politicians are on self-promotional tours.




I just can't get excited about the 4th. I don't feel very patriotic. Sometimes I think the 4th should be declared a National day of prayer and penance.

5 comments:

  1. Happy 4th.
    Growing up, my father, who was a WWII Navy vet, used to hang a flag out on national holidays. By the time I was in junior high, he no longer hung the flag. On one 4th of July, I asked him if he was going to put out the flag, he said, matter-of-factly, the country (even at that time) wasn't the same country he fought for. Sad sentiments. On that down note, I hope you have a blessed holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At Mass this morning, Father said he is proud to be an American and to live in this Nation. However, he also said there are things going on in this Nation that he will fight against until the day he dies.

    Last weekend, when I was visiting St. Wenceslaus in Iowa City, the visiting priest reminded us of how good we have it and how spoiled we really are. He asked us to take time out on the 4th before we eat that big BBQ and watch the fireworks to pray in thanksgiving for all that we have and to remember those who fought (and still fight) for us.

    I agree that, for the most part, the day is just a day off work and a day to drink beer and eat a dead cow. We need to be reminded what it's really about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeron7:49 AM

    We still need to take the time to honor our fallen soldiers, sailors, and airmen in thanksgiving for their sacrifices, as well as blessing God for the wonderful gift of being placed here in this country, at this time. I often wonder why God didn't place my soul in India, starving & homeless. So despite the many problems we have, even a half-hearted thanksgiving would be good. (And prayer and penance ... like maybe eating my sister's 7-layer dip).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, man, I'm a veteran - what can I say?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the reminder, & the service to our country, Jeron.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.