Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Back to gossip...


Pictured, "Man with his head in the sand"...a common disorder many bloggers attempt to help other people with.
Did you get a chance to read Eric Scheske's piece in the National Catholic Register on gossip in the blogosphere? Now this is an excellent article on the subject, and he's a good writer to boot, in fact that's a good Catholic newspaper isn't it. That's the Catholic spirit Eric!
"Why are rumors a natural part of the blogging media? They lack the rigors of doing real research and verification. On more than one occasion, a reader of my blog has written to me, stating that my facts weren’t quite right. I respond unapologetically: “Yup, my facts may have been inaccurate. It’s just a blog. I link to my source and let my readers make up their minds.”

Don’t get me wrong. I try to present accurate facts. I never re-produce something that I know is wrong and I often check and verify my facts. Just last month, for instance, I started to refer to Jacques Maritain as a convert to the Catholic faith from Judaism. Something told me to look that up and, indeed, I was wrong. Maritain was raised Protestant." Eric Scheske
Yup. I think I pretty much said as much in my own interview with a local Catholic newspaper whose bosses seem to dislike bloggers.
Happy Misrule!
"Eat Sand!" - Jon Lovitz for the Spirit.

3 comments:

  1. Terry: All that's missing from that photo is a well placed foot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog people and emailers and phoners:

    Something is wrong with my email and my phone - nothing comes through! And I can't get out. I think I need the "clapper"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sent you an email sometime yesterday...

    well, at least you can post.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments will no longer be accepted.
Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. Be sure and double check if your comment posted after you do the verification deal - sometimes it doesn't print if you made an error.