See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient with it until it receives the early and the late rains. - James 5:7

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I KNOW!


Pictured:
An extraordinary minister of the Eucharist.


Don Marco, my friend from Rome is in the U.S. for a time. He must be helping out at various parish liturgies and has come to see how the American Catholic church operates. (He is currently chaplain to a community of Benedictine nuns.) In his latest post, he does not say where a recent experience of Eucharistic ministers occurred, but it spurred him to write about it. You have got to read it on his blog "Vultus Christi". Many of us know all of this already and yet have had to live with it for decades - it's nice to read a fresh take on the matter however. Good job Don Marco!

(When I left the novitiate at the Trappists, one of the most difficult adjustments for me were the liturgical goings on in the various parishes I attended Mass.)

3 comments:

  1. Terry-

    This has been allowed for years...

    I will admit- these practices have never bothered me, but I assumed that they were okay with Rome-

    Are you & Don Marco saying that this is not the case?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rhapsody, The local Bishop may permit the use of extraordinary ministers - Don Marco is pointing out how this has been abused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was at a parish once where a priest who had long retired and had been a long-time pastor there many years previously, returned for the celebration of his 50th jubilee. Seven or 8 priests who knew him were present. Six of them remained seated while EM's did their duties.

    I'm not in charge, but I don't find the overuse of EM's as serious a liturgical offense as some others I have seen if they are dressed appropriately and carry out their duties reverently.

    The same goes for lectors and cantors.

    Sadly, dress and reverence are major issues. So I try to "keep custody over my eyes" and concentrate on my prayers.

    ReplyDelete


Please comment with charity and avoid ad hominem attacks. I exercise the right to delete comments I find inappropriate. If you use your real name there is a better chance your comment will stay put.